Watch a live feed as 250,000 bikers come to annual Sturgis Rally

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/07/watch-a-live-feed-as-250000-b.html

9 Likes

May these assholes reap what they sow.

15 Likes

Prediction: This becomes a new hot spot, and results in spreading Covid19 to many more rural and small town areas, as well as back to big cities. The massive spread caused by one event gets the disease relabeled in the future as the “Sturgis Flu”.

23 Likes

The scale of reckless, self-destructive and selfish stupidity carried out in the name of being cool and edgy is colossal (although it’s not exactly a shocker given that we’re talking about motorcycle enthusiasts).

Seriously, the leadership state of S. Dakota must be blasted out of their minds on Il Douche’s Kool-Aid to even consider allowing this event to go forward. The surrounding states should put up roadblocks to keep these morons in (no worries about the airports, they’re not going anywhere without their precious Harleys).

24 Likes

I wish Trump would fly in and spend a day at the rally with Noem. Shaking hands, getting to know all these fine folks up close and personal.

27 Likes

Not surprised about the masks. Think about this group’s response to helmets.

But let’s hope that more people are wearing them indoors.

18 Likes

XhYqPKt

15 Likes

The city only gets an extra $1.3M a year from this? That number seems really low and not worth the risk. Not a fair comparison to make but SXSW brings in approx 300-500M a year to the city of Austin, businesses here were freaking out about that being cancelled and in that instance i get why but they still pulled the plug. They still bitched and whined about it but they still did the right thing.

27 Likes

The costs to local hospitals alone will well outpace that amount within a month.

28 Likes

Some of the folks who are attending Sturgis have joked about calling it a “protest” so they can still attend. I mean all of the BLM protests the past few months had folks avoiding eating and drinking, plenty of face masks and folks going around with giant bottles of hand sanitizer giving away squirts to people so the crowd constantly keeps their hands clean. That’s a big difference compared to the copious amounts of public vomiting and drunk men yelling at women in wet t shirt contests that’s gonna go on over there.

16 Likes

The best part is watching how many of the people are riding those 3 wheeled motorcyles that are basically loud mobility scooters. Too old and out of shape to ride a real motorcycle and deliberately exposing your self to Covid. This should end well.

26 Likes

Aren’t there a fair amount of doctor, dentist and lawyer bikers who attend this event every year? I’d imagine that a sizable chunk of white collar riders will be taking back to the office buildings and suburbs whatever they picked up in Sturgis.

24 Likes

I guess they’ll be some decent buying opportunities of used motorcycles.

22 Likes

Yes, they call them RUBs - Rich Urban Bikers.

10 Likes

Bikerona virus

8 Likes

Harley Hack?

5 Likes

It’s a mostly outdoor event. I suspect attendees think that means the risk is minimal. They event is typically 9 or 10 days, perhaps a few cases will show up before people start riding back home and people will be able to take the necessary precautions to avoid spreading it all over the country.

It’s going to suck if you rode 1000 miles on your harley to have it trailered back because coronavirus knocked you on your ass for the next 2 weeks. Most of the bikers will survive this, but 2020 is not going to be a fond memory for them.

P.S. remember these are bikers. They’re entire lifestyle is about taking their own life in their hands for no reason other than to feel the rumble between their legs, the wind on their face, and the bugs in their teeth.

6 Likes

My Stur-rona.

6 Likes

Always wanted to go, at least back when I used to ride. Closest I got was 2016 when the wife and I went on our “Kitsch Tour of America” for two weeks and ended up in the Sturgis area right as bike week was hitting. We were only passing through, though, on a day that took us from Devil’s Monument down through the Badlands. Took us forever that day to find a hotel room and we had to drive way south through Nebraska to finally get one.

This year though, you couldn’t pay me to attend.

10 Likes

I thought the same thing - maybe they are talking about tax revenue vs. total economic impact?

5 Likes