Watch a live feed as 250,000 bikers come to annual Sturgis Rally

The linked video is a lower-quality mirror. Here’s the original feed with much more clarity:

7 Likes

bugs-in-teeth

One bug is not like the other.

11 Likes

The OP says this is the tax revenue—so a fraction of the local business income generated by the event.

4 Likes

Makes sense, either way the impact to people’s health and the cost associated with that will likely make it all a wash. Not that i wish for anyone to get sick or die, but it’s a very likely outcome.

3 Likes

I believe this headline says it best

13 Likes

If I ran the Gates Foundation, I would seriously consider sending 5-10M in cash payments to the businesses and residents if they agree to cancel the event. It would be a win-win and not that much money for preventing spread.

8 Likes

I have two coworkers out with the virus after a beach vacation in early July. I have one who’s currently at Sturgis. There’s been a big pushback against and noncompliance with the masks required by our employer. I can practically feel the hotspot growing around me.

22 Likes

Wouldn’t be feasible in the sense that this is something the government should be doing, and if the Gates Foundation bailed out the businesses in Sturgis but not other towns and cities there’d be plenty of salty feelings about it. I’d leave it for local governments to do something about it, which in this case they decided to do the laziest thing, which was nothing.

2 Likes

They could raise a lot more money in fines for entering the city without a helmet and wandering around without a mask. Fascists are obsessed with the strong leader, so give 'em one.

4 Likes

Has anyone calculated the probable death toll for Trump not immediately getting on board with wearing masks? There would always be a certain percentage of idiots who wouldn’t wear them, but Trump made it a point of pride for his followers not to wear them. Tens of millions of people didn’t (don’t) wear masks as a direct result of that decision. Seriously, has anyone done the math?

2 Likes

One person confined to a ventilator for a month in a hospital will cost more than that.

3 Likes

Probably the kind of thing that would need to be calculated years later after all of this mess is said and done, there’s likely to be a long of long term consequences, hidden shenanigans, and more to be dug up to really estimate the cost of Trump’s and all of the Republicans’ incompetence.

7 Likes

That’s barely over 5 bucks per biker. Hardly seems worth the government’s time and effort even in non-pandemic conditions.

6 Likes

Suzuki Pukie…

4 Likes

Thanks - just came to post the same

1 Like

Are there any of these?

6 Likes

I should show up there with my little 50cc scooter from China. I’m sure they would welcome me.

6 Likes

That’s what I’d imagine Ferrari would make if they made riding mowers.

12 Likes

until you consider the bars, restaurants, and hotels.

even so, id expect blm rallies could spread covid if people weren’t wearing masks. they are, and the sturgis crowds won’t be

( edited for clarity. blm protests haven’t been shown to be spreading the virus because the protestors have been taking it seriously. )

9 Likes

Tricycles (?) seem popular this year.

2 Likes