Watch a live feed as 250,000 bikers come to annual Sturgis Rally

Or a Lambo tractor

This kind of rally is exactly why I gave up going to them, I want to ride my bike(s) not sweat in a queue of traffic.

7 Likes

Not exactly, but pretty close

4 Likes

oh I don’t think your average attendee thinks about this.

When I was in Sturgis almost 30 years ago we stayed at a campground. Less luxurious than a hotel, in some ways nicer than a motel, cheaper than either.

It’s not clear to me how that will play out. Most people might wear masks. There is almost certainly a vocal group that won’t, but the question is are they a tiny minority or a significant fraction of attendees.

If the same kind of crowd attends that I remember from decades ago. It will be the ideal victim of COVID-19: middle-aged, obese smoker.

3 Likes

Is it pronounced “rubes” so as not to single them out from all of the regular rubes up there?

1 Like

1.3m in tax revenue. With a 4.5% sales tax rate that roughly 45m right?

1 Like

An acquaintance lives near there. They are (unsurprisingly) conservative, white, tRumpy-lite. They are also scared out of their mind about this. Hearing them try to square the circle of supporting the Orange Shitstain while not wanting these people anywhere near them is interesting.

Edit for wording

11 Likes

Hell’s Accountants

5 Likes

It really says something when the presence of a deadly contagious disease might not be the least pleasant thing about an event.

11 Likes

Hm. What’s the average age, and how many have underlying conditions?

4 Likes

Even 10% fatalities in a retirement home leaves the vast majority of people alive. That’s just math.

A biker heavy music event local to me got pretty heavily shut down and there were a shitton of folks trying to do the ‘we should call it a protest’ or ‘all them protesters can gather but we can’t?’ boogy on social media.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/us-as-americans-are-tired-of-the-bull-music-fest-owner-says-show-will-go-on-despite-court-order

3 Likes

This does not include pickle sales. They can’t even give them away at this event.

4 Likes
7 Likes

11 Likes

Honestly, <3’d just for invoking Issac.

10 Likes

Only way I’m watching that video feed is if the Feds go in and treat the Sturgis bikers like protesters

9 Likes

Certainly the coolest cat on that boat!

5 Likes

I guess that Meth is a new iteration of Moonshine; rural folk escaping the daily grind via a self-destructive addiction to home-made drugs.

@anon32019413 10% might die, but how many are left with organ failure, nerve damage, loss of extremities? The life changing effects of Covid are manifold.

4 Likes

It would be hilarious to see Trumpski’s cosplay border patrol show up and start pretending to be cops in Sturgis.

“Let’s you and him fight!”

6 Likes

You must not be a biker. This is an image adjust-

Sturgis is famous for bikers who don’t actually ride anymore, and trailer their bike for 1000 miles, only to ride in from 20 miles outside of town. Are there people who actually do ride over a thousand miles? Yes. I’ve done it over 2 days, Pittsburgh to Okmulgee Oklahoma, 1080 miles.

Most of the people who attend this are right next to each other- because the town is packed with people. Every bar and store is full- its a coronavirus superspreader event.

It’s mainly a toss up between rich doctors and dentists playing dress up in leather on their stock harley, and a lot of just trashy people who party openly. It’s mostly a Harley crowd.

I’d like to see it someday, just to say I’ve done it, but probably on a chop rather than the vintage BMW I have that sits with a broken transmission in my basement, waiting for me to fix it.

11 Likes