Watch: a visit to the mysterious Georgia Guidestones

OH well done thank you!

I nearly sprayed my last precious jar o’ cheaply made (homemade) cold brew coffee on my keyboard.

Thanks.

(goes off to google “cranksy” to see if it’s taken…)

4 Likes

But, in the same light as Dr. Bronner’s, it’s not necessarily incorrect gibberish…

5 Likes

Dang!
A Cransky does exist.
Wears a white hoody instead of a black hoody. Artist. Or artistic. Something:

https://www.saatchiart.com/account/artworks/1077691

Who knew?

1 Like

I’ll just park this here -

http://guidestones.org/

2 Likes

Oh… it’s meant to be operating instructions for _humans who survive The Apocalypse. Oooooh ok then.

I agree that the stones’ advice that’s “guiding” us to somehow make sure that >90% of the world’s existing people not be on the planet is seriously fkd up “advice.”

Hard pass.

All advice but the last list item is subjective, fraught, conditional, and the kind of “who decides” problem that is Third-Reich-era level BS. Even #10 too, really. Who determines what “diversity” looks like? Will the kinds of people who get offed in Gattaca be “wisely” gotten rid of because they are too diverse and not fit enough? Who gets to define which “faith” is acceptable? I note “faith” is referenced in the singular.

We’ve had a toxic bellyful of “Definers”

and so IMO not just “no” but “hell no” with farm co-op whipped cream and fairtrade chocolate sprinkles and a locally grown cherry on it.

5 Likes

Agreed. Aspirational gibberish is my favorite.

5 Likes

The person who paid for it and the team in charge of construction did so in an amnesiac fugue and never did work out what happened to their money and time.

2 Likes

I thought “Unite humanity with a living new language” was crank 101.

We’ve already got Volapuk for those few people who won’t speak Esperanto.

2 Likes

Northeast Georgia, where the banshees live (and they do live well)

3 Likes

They were put there by Thanos.

3 Likes

(OK - it was the early 90s, actually.)

6 Likes

The Blue Man Group show I saw used KLF’s Last Train to Transcentral as part of the show. At the end when you can see the performers, i said something like “Love the fact you used the KLF song from The White Room”. And he said something like, “You must have been cognizant in the 80s.”

“Well… actually it came out in 1991, but yes.”

5 Likes

Don’t be such a Negative Nelly! Don’t you have any faith in humanity? I believe we can reach these numbers easily, probably without even meaning to.

1 Like

I’m not super keen on “one language, yo”. Language drives culture, and I’m pretty keen on the variety we have.

4 Likes

Land was purchased in 1979 by the Elbert Ounty Board of Commisioners. So the city itself knows who they are.

3 Likes

But it facilitates communication which facilitates understanding.

Note that understanding one language doesn’t preclude knowing others. And language is only one part of cultures. Too many American’s feel that the lack of English speaking means one is some how less American. But I disagree. My grandma was born in America but English was a 2nd language. To say a common language will somehow be a detriment to culture is a silly as those who say a different language is also a detriment to culture.

Sort of how in Star War everyone speaks Galactic Basic, yet still have billions of languages.

2 Likes

Ditto here, Grandma spoke German.

I tried to claim German heritage on my last trip to Munich, but the locals were not having it. It may have been due to a communication error, as it was 10pm at Oktoberfest…

2 Likes

She and my grandpa were both children of Czech immigrants living in Czech speaking communities in the middle of Texas. Only my grandpa learned English and not Czech. Grandma sounded like she was from the old country.

America was full of little enclaves with foreign European languages being spoken. They may have been to busy to lean English, but their kids did. Thus I am really not worried about the anti immigrant naysayers hand wringing about Spanish speakers or Chinese speakers, etc. They have been saying stuff like this for over 100 years.

1 Like

Well, someone paid a lawyer to run things, and he refused to identify who paid him, and he’s dead now. So, sure, we know who built them, but not who paid, or why.

Offer to erect some rebuttal guidestones nearby and see who objects.