Watch Adam Savage build Chewbacca's bandolier

Eeesh, kind of a cringe worthy thing to say, we are all on our own paths.
Instead, we could further help celebrate the talented people that are really pushing creativity, and who are enthusiastic about sharing the knowledge and skills for tomorrow’s new makers!

As much as I appreciate the artistry that went into this, the fact that it is completely non-functional nags at me. I get that it’s a prop, it doesn’t need to perform a function. Hell, the whole dash board of the millennium falcon is a random mish mash of levers and buttons that are completely meaningless, what needs doing is entirely left up to improvisation, but… well… it’s just not for me. I suppose its something that you get used to in prop design and creation, because there is no way 90% of the stuff could ever function. Do what you will and have fun doing it… insert disclaimer here.

Adam addressing that exact subject:

Relevant bit starts at 7:20.

2 Likes

Please don’t caricature my point of view. I didn’t say they don’t have imagination, I say they seems to don’t have one. Plus I address how weak (and grumpy) my comment was. In both of my comment I qualify Adam’s work of “neat” an “cool”.
And, last but not list, I said Adam was a bad example.

Being myself an illustrator I know really well how easy and rewarding fanart can be. You have a lot of likes share and compliments for a drawing of something everyone already know, much more less on your original stuff.
And, again, fanart is neat and cool, but if you don’t build your own universe what’s the point ?
I’m not trying to patronise fanartist and cosplayer but when I go in a convention and I see all those talents I daydream of all the original content they can create together.

Really interesting.
Adam is really a good example, he make cosplay and replicas, but he also make his own stuff. And each field nourish the other.
I think he found his own balance between fan and creator.

That is a great dream, and even more reason to approach these folks with support.

I think my personal pronunciation has been closer to kash-YEE-ick

But I think the canonical pronunciation (from the third of the movies-that-don’t-exist) is just ka-SHEEK (/kəˈʃik/).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.