Watch: AMAZING slam poem about policing women's speech habits

I merely recognize that some people think that “lower voice pitch” = “being taken more seriously.” I certainly hope that I don’t. As for “damage,” I’m talking purely about physical biological damage. It seems to me long ago, I read about long-term use of one’s voice outside its natural range being damaging, but I’m sorry I can’t give you a reference. It seemed reasonable to me, as it involves stretching the vocal cords beyond whatever is normal for that person. I may be wrong.

I like the sound of different people’s voices. The more variety the better.

1 Like

2 Likes

Yeah, wow. Totally nailed that one. When I said “everyone” I actually meant not her - good call. I am also glad you determined that I identify as male, so “mansplaining” here totally makes sense.

I could have said “former co-workers, bosses, teachers” to further make my point that it’s older generations that police speech. But do fixate on an example that demonstrates exactly the point and try to differentiate “parenting” from “policing”. Let’s move those goalposts - I had not realized that relatives could not police speech. That’s parenting. Got it - good distinction.

In consideration, I have to agree with you. The easier, more logical conclusion here is that patriarchy causes older generations to police speech. It totally does not make sense there is a simpler, more universal explanation. Again, I am sorry.

Did you say “patronizing”? Oh, I thought that was when someone sent you a link that includes “Let me Google that for you”. No, again, I am sorry, that was not patronizing. That was clever!

No fumes here… I have definitely learned a lot. No more commenting here, there is not room for more than one opinion, no matter how respectfully stated initially.

You also mentioned a friend you haven’t kept up with. I get it, it’s your opinion that it is a self-damaging way to talk.

Is there anything wrong, or improper, about such self-damaging (from your POV, the arbiter of what is damaging to others) modes of speaking?

Their being interesting to you is nice and all, but you keep on with the concern… and if I know anything about the patriarchy, it’s about looking down on people for made. up. bullshit. which is just unfounded opinion.

not that you’re engaging in that.

What a fucking drama queen.

5 Likes

6 Likes

how dare you invalidate my experience

When you said everyone you actually meant you.

Asserting what someone else thinks, is aggressive.
Asserting what everyone thinks is… egomania.

Clearly you have the capacity to understand that some people have dysfunctional narratives in their own minds.

Maybe today, with all the "totally nailed it"s and the at least 5 uses of the word sorry in anything but an honest meaning could cause a brief mirror check? Just for a minute? Thanks friend!

And maybe ask what in this topic brought it up in ya?

2 Likes

Nifty way to deflect criticism: Call it “policing.”

You’ve seen what police do, right? Does it look like politely expressing disagreement or does it look like violent armed assault? Calling someone a cop for criticizing a public performance — that’s important, it’s not butting into someone’s private conversation, it’s reacting to a piece presented on stage and on YouTube for our edification and entertainment — is insulting, demeaning, and hyperbolic.

Don’t ever call me a cop.

Don’t tell me what I can’t say, cop.

5 Likes

Flagged for hate speech.

3 Likes

At what point did I call you a cop, dude? Are you a new poster? Can we only use the word “policing” when it relates to actual police? Did I even reply directly to you with that particular comment?

4 Likes

You seem to be trying very hard not to get the point of her piece. Do you have any comments on its content? :slightly_smiling: What makes you think she’s pretending her outrage?

5 Likes

Well, duh, of course she’s pretending her outrage!!!

12 Likes

Last reminder: Stay on topic. Take personal bickering into PM or start a new thread.

13 Likes

Policing
po·liced, po·lic·ing, po·lic·es

1. To regulate, control, or keep in order with a law enforcement agency or other official group.
    2. To observe and issue warnings or correctives regarding: policing someone’s grammar.
  2. To make (a military area, for example) neat in appearance: policed the barracks.**
10 Likes

You are so clever! That’s exactly right. Thank you again for telling me what I actually meant. Of course you are habitually right, what was I even thinking? Yet again you have so succinctly explained what I was thinking. Mansplained it for me, so to speak. I should defer to you yet again.

Please, I am begging you to please tell me what I actually meant outside of my words. I would prefer if you pull in quotes from a completely unrelated thread. Do you think you could do that for me? Oh, and one more, “totally nailed it” for the road…

Flips bozo bit…

9 Likes

Don’t go looking for sympathy on this site - you are old, male, and (probably) white, and your opinion differs to theirs.

You are the enemy.

When a thread has descended into animated gifs, your comment is like a parent offering logic to a child having a tantrum - hopeless.

They’ll call you a troll for having an opinion (because your opinion is WRONG!), while AcerPlatanoides will be free to troll here without fear of retribution because REASONS.

They’ll also call me a troll for calling this out, and because I also have opinions that differ from theirs.

Thanks everyone. I’m done. Try the fish.

1 Like

Do you have an opinion? You don’t seem to have offered one.

13 Likes