Watch: Angry kangaroo punches paraglider as soon as he lands

Now you tell me.

Leda
13 Likes

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, google “myostatin” and “double muscling”.

Mutations limiting myostatin are usually how these double muscled animals happen (not the roos though, I think those are just buff roos. I don’t even want to imagine a double muscled roo…)

3 Likes

8 Likes

Especially the dog.

1 Like

“Welcome to Australia, mate!”

3 Likes

Just met some friends who travelled NZ for seven weeks last autumn, and back in 2001. They were shocked by the changes, and the amount of tourists.
Seems I missed my window of opportunity there, too.

I’m still glad I had the chance to visit Madagascar years ago. Also just there to amaze you, and basically no dangerous things except malaria and other maladies fostered by humans.

2 Likes

I lived in Oz for a decade. The Roos I met up close were generally flea and tick infested bundles of matted fur. Oh, and their finger and toenails looked pretty gnarly too.

A colleague of mine hit one on the road one night. He went back to see if it was dead. It wasn’t. Being in the middle of nowhere without a phone, he took it upon himself to euthanize the suffering animal … but all he had in the boot was a tire iron. He managed to kill the roo but was surprised about how damn strong its skull was.

Shit. Your colleague is a decent person, and I feel for them. Experienced something similar once, with a stray dog, in the Atlas mountains.

Yes… you should!

2 Likes

I know we Aussies have a well deserved reputation for making up shit, but that’s real. The big red kangaroos will fuck you up. A park had to be closed to the public near me because tourists kept trying to feed the roos and would get attacked.

4 Likes

I’m perhaps more amused that tourists keep trying to make nice with koalas because they’re super cute, but instead get attacked by an irritable bundle of fur and claws. I’m sure the Chlamydia doesn’t help them either

3 Likes

Before Noah saved them from the flood, I’m sure they were punching out Pteradactyls.

This one?

1 Like

What is the point of raising the stringiest meat possible? Or are they not raised to feed humans?

2 Likes

I got nothing.

2 Likes

Turning off my computer for the day, now that I’ve witnessed peak achievement being attained.

3 Likes

From @KathyPartdeux’s link

Essentially, the breed produces less myostatin and thus produces more muscle tissue than the average cattle. Furthermore, the same mutation apparently interferes with fat deposition, resulting in very lean meat.

But I’d guess that they’re bred more as show animals.

2 Likes

If you catch Chlamydia from cuddling with a koala then you’re doing it terribly, terribly wrong.

6 Likes

I’ve eaten many a Belgian Blue (well, that’s not strictly true, in fact I’ve eaten many a steak from a Belgian Blue) and it’s not stringy at all. Yeah, it’s a little lean, so you’ll regret overcooking it, but it’s really quite delicious and I even miss it now that I can’t get it anymore.

That said, I’ve also seen many a Belgian Blue – my favorite was one that was doing the bovine equivalent of sprinting along the other side of the fence from a beer festival, much to the delight of me and the other drunks – and never have I seen a single one that looks anywhere near as buff as the one in the picture. But apparently they do work out.

2 Likes

I have bad news…

3 Likes