Watch as the Ghostbusters franchise gets even more fractured

It was good up to a point. That point was probably closer to the beginning than the end but before that it was pretty compelling sci-fi that at least put some effort into depicting what life might be like for a fugitive space fleet with no where to go.

1 Like

I think Hollywood’s in the middle of a 50-year mission to find out.

2 Likes

The Wiig/Jones/McCarthy/McKinnon film was genius

I wouldn’t say the movie was bad, but i wouldn’t say it was genius. However i will defend them in saying that this move to do a direct sequel to the OG movies is hugely unneeded and does a big disservice to these ladies. For this upcoming movie it just reeks of desperation and i’m not sure i will see it.

2 Likes

To be fair that was the main thing the reboot BSG got right. The sense of utter despair that people would have upon losing their planets. The original BSG (and Star Wars, which had Leia consoling Luke over the loss of Ben Kenobi, a guy he had known for a few days, within hours of her home planet being destroyed) really didn’t get. I wasn’t a fan of the “who’s a cylon?” stuff at all.

1 Like

There’s no arguing taste of course, but I found the reboot to be really quite bad, mostly because of the writing and directing. The cast was fine, but there wasn’t much for them to work with. It was another example of horrible Hollywood writing that seems to have become the norm in recent years for reasons unknown to me. Maybe all the good writers are working on TV shows these days. And no one needs this sequel either, just like no one needs all the other shovelware sequels to decades old franchises that inevitably fail to catch the magic that made these old movies successful in the first place.

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound like they are - at least, not with substantial roles.

Ramis might have an insubstantial role, I suppose.

(I’m here all week folks)

2 Likes

Yep:

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

It’d be alright if they busted this fuckin’ guy…

…amiright?

2 Likes

This may have something to do with the fact that the movie didn’t even make its money back, much less a profit. (IMDB says $144m budget, 230m gross worldwide, rule of thumb is to double the budget to allow for advertising costs…)

:moneybag:

3 Likes

No you are not. I’m not one of those yahoos who felt their childhood was being trampled, but the Feigling-helmed version was decidedly blah. I had high hopes early on, but was sorely disappointed. There were moments of laughitude, but overall, it was a sad and unfunny waste of very solid talent.

I want a film in the original universe with the original characters retired. I want probably Janine Melnitz running the business and the brains of the team itself somebody like Egon’s Daughter. Just start off with Vinkman being dead and the thrust of the film is dealing with the aftermath of what he is doing on the other side. Probably pulling a hustle/con job on a great old one. I want to see a world that has provable supernatural for 30 years and what the means for the government. I want to see a NSA spy agency that is dealing with capturing ghosts for questioning sort of thing.

The reboot was fine but in seemed really low effort and kinda forgettable. Paul Fieg was not a good choice for launching a complex shared universe that also had an existing fan base hoping for something in the same universe. I don’t think he really fleshed out the world very far and there was no world building to speak of. I also think Fieg fell in love with the improv on the set. The jokes may have made everybody laugh on set but do the scenes make sense for the story? A 20 minutes of a job interview sketch in the film was a bit … much.

It wasn’t the worst thing ever and it wasn’t as horrible as Batman V Superman but it really was an under achieving film. The real icing on the cake was all the angry anti-sjw tolls that really made the whole experience … awful.

When I saw the film in the theater and the Sony logo came up my roommate shouted “Well! There’s your problem!” and I kinda agree. They really are a bit inept when it comes to genre films. Don’t get me started on the little golden book version of Dark Tower they put out.

2 Likes

I thought maybe a reboot with new main characters and actors, but the original actors are now ghosts who need to be busted by the new crew. They could even justify doing a bad job of bringing back Harold Ramis with CGI.

3 Likes

Easy. Each continuity takes place in a separate parallel universe. By a staggering coincidence, both teams cross the streams at exactly the same time, creating a wormhole connecting their worlds. Transdimensional hijinks ensue.

Next!

4 Likes

“The Wiig/Jones/McCarthy/McKinnon film was genius!”

It was funny at times, and I enjoyed it, but it was not even up to the level of the original much less genius.

Also, there’s no reason why there can’t be a GBIII with the original characters and another W/J/M/M film as well. There’s two Deadpool characters both played by Ryan Reynolds, Tom Holland’s Spider Man and Into the Spiderverse, etc.

I honestly have to wonder if that’s what the ultimate plan was – a long running franchise that could cross over as needed. They certainly went out of their way to winkingly point out “hey! It’s Dan Ackroyd… and he’s a cab driver… definitely not a paranormal investigator!” as if to make it clear that these guys do exist, but in this parallel universe, they’re different.

Spider-Verse takes place in a different Earth (I forget the Marvel-Universe Earth numbering, it’s bonkers) than the Tom Holland Spider-Man. Maybe the same Earth as GBIII? Who knows! Timey wimey boom bee doop! sonic screwdriver sounds

3 Likes

The reboot wasn’t very good

• Paul Feig botched it by having all the dialogue improvised and cutting together crappy one-liners in editing
  • It didn’t have the tight pacing or wit of the original
  • Made the characters idiot cartoons
  • Didn’t give me a reason to care about the imperiled characters
  • Fart gags? Queef Jokes? HILARIOUS, OBVIOUSLY
  • Was jammed full of sleazy Sony product placement (Papa Johns… Really? REALLY?)
  • Despite it being a property with a built-in audience, they decided to shit all over that audience by more or less calling them basement-dwelling nerds

I was kinda rooting for the ladies, but they were in a bad film that lost money. It’s no surprise they’re not going to try for another one in the same vein.

2 Likes

I could see a crossover … kinda for like one scene:
The OG cast is fighting a multidimensional beastything (“Not just this universe ALL of the Universes”) zuul and gozer would run from just after a CGI Egon (tarkinesque) warned them that it is comming.
3 streams not being enough the situation is dire … but to the Ghost beasties being multidimensional we get to see the fem cast just for a second butting in and helping the olde geezers, and the still awesome looking Janine out.

Film ends etc.

Postcredit scene: The femcast wondering who the old farts were.

This is a weird fallacy that got repeated on social media so much that it became part of the angry-mob-that-movie-sucks dialog, even though it’s not true. The bad guy was an occultist who wanted revenge on the world for being bullied as a kid. Somehow the idea of the new Ghostbusters blowing him up when he took the form of the Ghostbusters-logo-ghost (which, yeah, was super corny) was interpreted in social media circles as “destroying the icon of what fans love” or some such malarky. And honestly… the original had blowjob jokes, Bill Murray being a creepy sleaze for laughs… I think a fart joke is okay.

4 Likes