Watch as the Ghostbusters franchise gets even more fractured

Sony Pictures Animation seems to be riding a wave right now with Into The Spider-Verse, so you’d think that would be the way to go – and if they got J. Michael Straczynski on board for the script, that would really be something. But I expect pesky little details like “script” are a distant concern presently.

6 Likes

Whatever they do, I hope they don’t bring that godawful song back.

Damn it. Now it’s in my head.

9 Likes

I was going to say, “that feels wrong,” but it’s the “Apocalypse” comic that’s already all kinds of wrong, so…

1 Like

Eh, it’s been done already:

3 Likes

It was a perfectly charming movie, and I enjoyed it, but that’s about it.

The problem is that they tried to remake one of the more popular movies of recent decades. Comparisons to the original were going to be inevitable, and it was just as inevitable that it would be found lacking.

If they had instead made a movie about 4 female scientists doing weird science, during which shenanigans ensued, I would have watched the shit out of it.

1 Like

Am I gonna be the first one to point out that The Ghostbusters Playstation game from 2009 is the essential Original Ghostbusters 3 - movie? Guess so.

The bring back all the original actors, except Moranis and Weaver, to do the voices.
Hey - if there really is a demand for another Ghostbusters movie, maybe they could just have ILM download the assets from this machinima and deepfake in some new textures? Win-win!

5 Likes

In Hollywood? You must be joking. Who would take that kind of risk?

I am reminded of this passage from Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson:

Hollywood was merely a specialized bank—a consortium of large financial entities that hired talent, almost always for a flat rate, ordered that talent to create a product, and then marketed that product to death, all over the world, in every conceivable medium. The goal was to find products that would keep on making money forever, long after the talent had been paid off and sent packing. Casablanca, for example, was still putting asses in seats decades after Bogart had been paid off and smoked himself into an early grave.

https://lost-contact.mit.edu/afs/adrake.org/usr/rkh/Books/books/Neal%20Stephenson%20-%20Cryptonomicon%20v2%20(HTML,%20Fully%20Proofed)/slide8.html

7 Likes

I hope that’s in DC…

2 Likes

Thank You for that. Seldom made a warning more sense than this one.
Like on a space ship.
“Warning: Do Not Open Hatch. No Air Outside”

1 Like

That was sort of how I felt about Ghostsbusters II and the reboot. II was…okay. It wasn’t great imho. The reboot had some really funny moments, but…I honestly couldn’t tell you much about it, because I’ve only seen each of those movies once and I’ve never felt the need to see them again.

I tend to put on Ghostbusters about once a decade. It makes me laugh when I do. But it’s very much a product of the 1980s. It’s probably Murray and Ramis at their best. But it’s so 1984 it’s almost painful. I couldn’t see getting my kids to enjoy it.

Having said that I remember being vaguely excited years ago when Akroyd started talking about making a Ghostbusters 3. The moment I lost interest is when he started talking about a new cast. I think James Van Der Beek was mentioned on Slashdot, probably 15 years ago. That was my first “Oh, God, no,” moment for a sequel. This is the effort that shifted into the reboot which as I said, for me personally…meh, it’s alright.

2 Likes

Thanks for making me have to look up what BSG meant. It was never a good show.

2 Likes

Thank you! That game was severely underrated and truly did function as a third Ghostbusters film.

2 Likes

While the newest Ghost-buster’s movie wasn’t a complete disaster that most make it out to be, they did miss a real important plot aspect that could have tied all of the movies together and satisfied the dudes who wanted an all male cast used.

At the end when McCarthy went into the portal and had to be rescued, they should have had her either:

1. Stay a bit in a world where there are guys fighting the ghost in their world to her surprise before being yanked back to her world.

or

1. She should have been pulled out of the portal with blond hair and a confused look on her face as to why women were fighting ghosts. She could have asked “where are the Ghost-busters? Who are you guys?”

Boom! Validation that there were other universes (like the Spider-verse) where the old group is still together, the women are going it, and maybe even teenagers. Problem solved.

2 Likes

The fieg film definitely was not genius. It had some laughs and Kate McKinnon entertained. Kirsten Wiig felt wasted as the straight woman. Her best characters are zany. Ironically one of the best parts of the female led movie was the Hemsworth brother playing a beautiful idiot, but he also didn’t have to carry the film and could be used sparingly. The whole thing felt like a Saturday afternoon throwaway movie, not a huge budget blockbuster.

It’s a tricky property. Blockbuster comedies tend to be surprises that give viewers something they haven’t seen lately. The also usually don’t have a giant special effects budget

1 Like

I remember seeing something about how he pretty much improv’d his entire part and really impressed people who had no idea how funny he could be; I have to wonder if the brilliant Thor Ragnarok would’ve happened if he hadn’t gotten the chance to show of his comic timing in Ghostbusters.

It is, surprisingly. It seems like something that’d be a wonderful franchise, but as much as I enjoyed a lot about the “Answer the Call” Ghostbusters, it seems like the original movie was truly lightning in a bottle. The combination of Bill Murray’s sarcasm, Harold Ramis’ awkward genius, and Dan Ackroyd’s childlike joy about the supernatural is pretty much impossible to replicate without looking fake.

3 Likes

Any time I have seen these movies since life after the age of eleven I have found them unwatchable. I just don’t get it.

1 Like

IMHO GB II sucked like a vacuum.

My secret hope is that there’s a script in a drawer somewhere where the two GB universes are forced to encounter each other in yet another GB movie. I mean, it could suck, but it could also be fun.

2 Likes

IT was a sequel to Beetlejuice? Hey, now that you mention it…

4 Likes

I still wish they’d do a Ghostbusters based on some of the original concepts- set in the future, where Ghostbusters are a common profession like firemen, with a plot featuring weird stuff like interdimensional travel. Mostly I want to see the original Ecto 1, black with eerie purple lights. The whole thing would be a little familiar, while being different enough to not just rehash the same exact thing. No need for the original cast, or the new cast.

Also, something everyone seems to be completely ignoring is the brief mention of an animated Ghostbusters film also coming out: https://bit.ly/2R8d7h5
Like Ghostbusters 3, it’s most likely going to disappoint, but part of me is still holding out hope for a Real Ghostbusters movie…

2 Likes