Watch bicyclist lift and move car blocking bike path

Any idiot who parks their car on a tramway deserves to have their empty car totaled by the much heavier tram moving at a speed appropriate to obliterate their stupidly parked car.

1 Like

I know it’s a setup, but I can’t help but laugh at the BBC reporter tipping the Robin back up, Clarkson immediately flipping it again, and the reporter just sort of opening his arm in exaspiration, like “sigh, why the fuck did I agree to this. Now I’ll have to flip his car back again…”

Also, the front wheel being positioned directly under the engine is just asking for trouble. I can’t believe even a single mechanical engineer signed off on any aspect of that car.

I can just imagine the poor engineers tasked with the prototype, quietly sobbing into their neck ties, as the Reliant CEO just bombards them with the demand for a single front wheel, directly under the engine, not offset in height, so that the car is the perfect machine for barrel rolls.

Apparently they also inspired Rocket League:

3 Likes
1 Like

For what cost? The tram damaged and possibly derailed, having to wait for cops or perhaps techs, the passengers having to wait or find another transportation? Not worth it.

1 Like

Yeah. True.

I had train in my head. I’ve seen what a passenger amtrack 5 cars long going 80mph can do to a motorcycle, with relatively little damage to the train.

Realizing now that a tram is a different beast.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by ‘directly under’- the Robin’s front wheel is in front of the engine. http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2016/2247605401_1bbf4b913b_m.jpg

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Still, it’s a pretty huge design flaw to have a single wheel front and center with the driver not centered inline with it. Notice how the Robin always tips onto the driver’s side. That weight needs to be counterbalanced if there isn’t going to be a wheel under the driver, or an outrigger or something.

Can’t believe such a car ever made it to be street legal. The 70s were truly a different time.

Apparently, they were still made until 2001- and the original chassis design dates from 1953. Pretty impressive, eh?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.