Watch - cheese infested with live maggots is a delicacy

That’s a great title for a culinary book. I’ll steal it, if I may.

4 Likes

Well, projectile vomiting is the first thing that comes to my mind, followed closely by concerns of parasitic infection.

That’s a helluva recco, there; damning with faint praise, even.

There are some things that I need never know.

Oh, I know. It’s just topics like this always seem to boil down to much virtue signaling, which always irks me.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to actual survivial, most mammals (including humans) will eat whatever’s available that will keep them from starving to death.

But when it’s not a matter of life and death, voluntarily eating unclean or unpalatable food is beyond my ability to fathom; I’m even more perplexed by people who deem decomposing/contaminated food “a delicacy.”

I don’t eat like a desperate, half-starved field slave because I don’t have to, and I am very grateful for that.

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is you mite eat it?

91cvs

17 Likes

I’ve eaten dead chocolate covered insects before. Not bad, not great. Lots of things things we (non-vegans) eat are animal byproducts, so that part doesn’t bother me anymore than the pre-digested cheese. I’d consider trying it once on a cracker after the maggots had been killed.

But I absolutely draw the line at eating any live animal, insect larva included. More for the the people who want it and more power to them.

On the plus side, we know where to go if we ever need to feed Ferengi.

7 Likes

True enough. I just really like cheese.

The human race has developed lots of foods the locals love but everyone else thinks is disgusting-- lutefisk, 100-year-old-eggs, corn smut, silkwom pupae, McRibs, etc.

5 Likes

So do I.

As Gully said up above, I tend to draw the line at eating anything that’s still alive.

That shit is an abomination, not food.

5 Likes

Make mine gagh!
Waiter, check please!

5 Likes

giphy

10 Likes

OK, maggot filled cheese. Gross, whatever. But this takes it to a whole new level. Here, have a bite of this cheese! And BTW, A FREAKING MAGGOT COULD LEAP INTO YOUR EYE! A maggot in my mouth I can at least kill quickly. I don’t know what to do about a maggot in my eye.

It is my greatest regret that I can’t unread this sentence.

11 Likes

You are all weak.
I´ll eat it in a heartbeat because I love cheese, even weird varieties.

1 Like

4 Likes

Go push a watermelon out through your reproductive organs, then come back and talk to me about being “weak,” yo.

12 Likes

For as prevalent and popular as cheese is, it’s easy to forget that the very concept of it is utterly horrifying for huge chunks of the planet.

A Nigerian co-worker of mine had to leave the room if people were casually munching on cheese. It was utterly foreign and bizarre to her.

7 Likes

Nope

8 Likes

Wow, I first read about casu marzu on Boing Boing in like 2005.

I’ve grown a lot as a person, and expanded my horizons a lot, but this is still a solid nope. I’ve got a strong stomach, and I’ve eaten a lot of unusual things, but nope nope nope!

4 Likes

“Think smaller, and more legs!” – Krusty The Klown

(the bug references just keep coming.)

4 Likes

I’m sure it is (I yell out as I stand 100 feet away while cheerfully munching on a PB&J sandwich).

1 Like

Fittingly i have a related image, from another Groeing show

6 Likes

Another item which I’ve found, for big chunks of the world, is about as disgusting as cazu maru.

3 Likes

That okay. More PB&J sandwiches for me!

3 Likes