Watch chef's miraculous way to decorate a cake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/22/watch-chefs-miraculous-way-to-decorate-a-cake.html

5 Likes

I really wish the camera operator had managed to get the application of the layer onto the cake, rather than only implying it. Less head shot, moar frosting work.

21 Likes

I was surprised at how quickly the stuff went from frosting consistency to banana peel consistency.

5 Likes

yes the look of concentration on that chef’s face… was literally all we saw. FAIL

6 Likes

Looks like he’s got a big ass cooling pack under the marble slab to quickly set the frosting.

8 Likes

Kind of a Gerhard Richter of icing.

3 Likes

click the link and watch on reddit, it shows the full frame. Not sure why only partial frame shows up in blog posting @orenwolf ?

8 Likes

Have watched my wife pull this kind of trick many times. Still fascinating.

3 Likes

Which link? I saw only an article on the basics.

1 Like

Credit should be added to the BB article. This is pastry chef Yavuz Ceken, from Turkey.

Instagram: Yavuz Ceken (@yavuz_ceken) • Instagram photos and videos

That particular video was posted on Instagram in 2017, for some reason it was later deleted and reposted in 2019: Yavuz Ceken on Instagram: "Türk pastacilik tarihinde görülmedi bu video kadar her yerde paylaşılan maşallah her yerde görüyorum veya bana yolluyorlar bak videon her yerde diye Teşekkürler #delicious #foodie #instafood #instadaily #heathyfood #foodstagram #followme #pastrie #designer #amazing #bakery #torta #bake #bakery #baked #desert #designer #yuummy #instagram #instagood #caketutorial #tutorial #castomcakes #decoration #chocolate #cake #amazing #losangeles #lasvegas #dallas @yavuz_ceken 👋 👋 #cekennn"

The original aspect ratio is the standard Instagram square, see link above. The embedding from Reddit has a rectangular aspect ratio.

11 Likes

Yep, cold marble is a key tool in a pastry kitchen. The slab is refrigerated when not in use. The coldpack helps keep it cold in a kitchen where the ovens are on nonstop.

7 Likes

The trick is knowing how fast to work (given your initial conditions) so that the viscosity of the frosting changes the desired amount in the time it takes to do the dispensing and swiping work.

6 Likes

I was assuming he had the frosting bags in a warm bath when I saw how much it set up, but they were just laying on the counter. The marble must have been extra cold (as others above pointed out).

Cold icing does not pipe well at all. This is put down at room temp and quickly cools to a much firmer state. While my wife does not have a fancy-schmancy refrigerated marble slab to work on (although she would probably trade me for one) she uses a plastic surface with cold packs under it for the same purpose.

6 Likes

2 Likes

My first thought was that this was chocolate and not fondant/frosting. There are many ways to make both pliable or slower and faster techniques that deal with the setting time.

2 Likes

Thanks! That version was MUCH more rewarding.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.