Watch CNN host Chris Cuomo threaten man who compared him to fictional mafia moron Fredo Corleone

The way i parse it is that it’s a reference to a character, it’s not like the nickname is making fun of a particular race. Some might not see it that way but that’s my take at least, and it’s not like i have any intention of using that nickname towards people.

10 Likes

His outrage at a character reference that he says is equivalent to the N-word (it’s not) is not that sympathetic considering he immediately fired off sexist and homophobic slurs in response, in a way that made it clear that he’s perfectly okay with name-calling, as long as it’s not directed at him.

23 Likes

I think it is interesting that if I as a man tried to “tell” a woman how to react/deal with sexual harassment, I think we both know how that would go over. But here its acceptable to tell someone who is offended by a racially based insult (regardless of whether you or I feel it is an ethnic slur or not…Cuomo certainly seemed to feel it was) exactly how he is supposed to deal with it?

I guess my response to this is simply, my threshold is violence. Don’t touch another person regardless of “harassment/insult/whatever” unless said thing is physical. Shove me, I’ll shove back. Insult me, I personally would just walk away, but I am not going to slam someone for insulting back.

There is a double standard or moving goal post in regards to “acceptable behavior” here that is (yes I will say it) disappointing. If we are ok with the dude punching the Nazi…and I am absolutely for it…I am also ok with Cuomo getting in some jackass’s face for harassing him.

2 Likes

ETA:
NBC notes that Cuomo has said in previous Twitter posts that he views “Fredo” as an “Italian slur.” I think this was a contrived way to get Cuomo to respond.

Additional ETA: it’s an ETA as my initial wordier post is awaiting moderation.

1 Like

I appreciate the dubious timing of it being in Wikipedia. But last I checked, wikipedia is not the great decider of all socially acceptable/unacceptable things. Simply stated: wiki has zero authority on this.

3 Likes

I would not have thought of it as an ethnic slur either, and have referred to the elder Trump sons as both being Fredo, but Chris Cuomo, has said, previously on his Twitter, that he thought it was.

3 Likes

peaky-blinders-alfie-listen-sweetie

15 Likes

Sean Hannity is defending him. QED.

13 Likes

I’m going to level with you:

Having a double-standard between Nazis and everyone one else might be hypocritical, but it’s a hypocrisy I’m prepared to bite the bullet on.

16 Likes

As an Italian-American, I can tell you that nothing is like the N word for us.

What a fucking Fredo!

21 Likes

Hat tip to the Chrome extension that turns all Agent Orange’s tweedles into the scrawlings of a five year old. I try to never click on anything that gives eyeball$ to the Dark Side, but when I do, I want the visuals to match the ‘thinking’.

7 Likes

WTF are you talking about?

Did you quite literally quote only one line of my post and then reference it in a way that was not in any way shape or form what I said?

Cuomo deciding that “fredo” is an ethnically based slur is Cuomo’s problem.
If someone is behaving unacceptably yes I get to judge them. It’s ok to be angry but certain behaviors are not ok and making up facts (such as the names of characters from a popular movie being slurs) does not justify them.

3 Likes

What you learn in EVERY ethics class - the buck has to stop somewhere and there aren’t any actual rules. It’s largely up to each one of us to decide what we will and will not tolerate. And it’s also up to each one of us to live with the consequences. Since it’s not illegal to say absolutely hateful and incendiary things (up to but NOT including yelling FIRE in a theater) but it is illegal to punch people, that’s a price that each of us has to be willing to pay.

There are millions in Hong Kong who are risking exceptional harm to protest against the Leviathan that is China. They are breaking laws that are far more consequential than simple assault from punching someone.

7 Likes

*sighs

Great example to set for your kid, guy; no matter what anyone may have called you.

While I’m not generally a turn the other cheek person if someone starts some shit with me; as a decent parent, I still understand the necessity in that situation to rise above it, and get your kid away from the conflict to someplace calm & safe.

Exacerbating the conflict is a really terrible idea, even if one isn’t a rich and famous asshole.

That said…

“Fredo is an ethnic slur…” against Italians?

Okay, sure.… but that claim only holds water if one considers the whole entire Godfather franchise to be one big slur, too; because it’s chocked full of unflattering stereotypes of Italian Americans.

Otherwise, it just sounds like yet another person of privilege grasping at straws as he plays the Oppression Olympics, in an effort to convince others that ‘he’s the real victim’ here.

24 Likes

Yes, not fair to be called a derogatory ethnic term or whatever “Fredo” symbolizes. Cuomo suffered a bit of injustice, I can understand that, relate to that. Not gonna go into how he reacted, this may depend on many different things: if he was already irritated, if he has anger issues,… What I am hoping he will do: reflect on how other races and ethnicities feel every day: latinos, african americans, Indian/Pakistanis, natives and many others. How service people feel when looked down on. I am certain Cuomo has done worse things than this guy. Maybe he’ll learn something from this.

2 Likes

Chris “Not Fredo” Cuomo it is, then.

4 Likes

Roid rage?

Well, at least he might have a chance at Fox if CNN cans him…

1 Like

He responded to what he calls a slur, with slurs.

If you’re okay with everyone being an ass, and nobody should be blamed for using slurs, fine, that’s your line. It’s hard to see how he’s justified in using slurs any more than the person he’s responding to, though.

15 Likes

That’s my take on it, he’s playing up the victim card and the quickest way to that is to feign that something is racist.

12 Likes