Watch delighted swimmers flee from curious killer whale

I would never want to swim with an apex predator with inch long teeth that can move in three dimensions around me , but that’s just me

6 Likes

They learned from the best!
sand people

7 Likes

Killer whales don’t attack people in the wild

And humans aren’t part of what Great Whites like to eat, and yet shit happens. Do you really want to give the advice to ignore wild animals?

1 Like

(credit; from vinylfantasyshop)

18 Likes

They are wild animals, however. It’s best to keep your distance because you never know when they’ll do something to surprise you. For example, this cute seal:

8 Likes

The reason there are no sharks in the great Lakes isn’t because they don’t have a path there (they do via St. Lawrence river), or that sharks can’t live and reproduce in fresh water (bull sharks can, and also are thought to be behind most shark attacks), but mostly that the great Lakes are way too cold. The shark species which can live in fresh water mostly live in warmer water. More northern sharks which like cold water don’t have the ability to live in fresh water.

A better question is: why don’t we have whale and cetacean species in the great Lakes? Near as I can tell, only because they freeze over completely some winters. So again you only tend to see these in more tropic bodies of fresh water.

6 Likes

I thought about bringing up that point, but figured some other pedant would handle it.

7 Likes

Plus, they’re smart, social creatures with sophisticated communication skills. I can see one of them putting the other up to a dare to take a bite out of one of those disgusting bugs.

3 Likes

Makes one wonder: What animals do actually find us delicious? Doesn’t seem like too much.

Could there have been animals that found us extremely delicious, but then we found them delicious back with extreme prejudice?

2 Likes

Not a lot of bang for the buck as meals go. Very lean, for the most part, and hella bony. Most great white attacks are assumed to be test bites. One chomp and then disappointment. On a seal, the shark’s teeth detect the fat blubber layer, a few inches thick, and then muscle, and bone. A human is practically just muscle and bone by comparison and not really worth the effort for a big predator. Smaller predators like cougars, wolves and predators of convenience like hyenas, tigers, alligators and bears don’t mind though. They pretty much take whatever is nearby, like bull sharks.

3 Likes

Parasites, mostly. Of course, parasitism is the most popular lifestyle.

3 Likes

But it’s cool. Kind of like finding out why there are no freshwater starfish.

4 Likes

Bull sharks have been know to swim up into the Potomac River. I keep hoping that one will find it’s way into the sewer pipes of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

c5084-toiletshark

6 Likes

While visiting Maui last October(tiger shark season), deck hands were claiming that the tiger sharks would eat anything and everything they found mildly interesting. They’d find bright orange buoys and all sorts of garbage in their stomachs.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time, at this point.

I lolzd… I guess they must have doubled back for the recording equipment.

1 Like

…the water temp in NZ at the moment must be around 15c. those swimmers were going to be screaming and running out of that water after 30 seconds with or without a killer whale.

1 Like

So I’m a little confused here. I’ve seen video of killer whales using the incoming waves to wash up on the beach, snag a seal, and then wash back into the water. Why wouldn’t one of these go after humans?

Are these known to be the sort of killer whale that eat fish rather than larger prey?

Because we probably taste terrible.

3 Likes

Well, that was in self defense.

3 Likes