Watch delighted swimmers flee from curious killer whale

Discussed up thread, but we are really lean for how much work it would be to bag a person. We have pokey hands which go in eyes.

Also, for the most part, lots of protein, not much fat. About 1/3 of our calories are used up by our brains.

2 Likes

Yeah, in So. Cal, you can always tell the tourists because the locals run into the waves when the dolphins show up, and the tourists freak out and run out of the water yelling “SHARK!!!”

(that being said, we did have some great whites show up earlier in the year, so running out of the water at first sight of fin may not be a bad idea…)

And can I say that the last couple of years have been really weird? We’ve gotten those tuna crabs swarming in the summers when previously they rarely made it up this far (water was previously too cold for them), and we’re getting a lot of species in weird places at weird times. Dorado when there shouldn’t be in places where they were never before…

Something something dangers of ocean warming…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Here’s Wikipedia’s article about Orca attacks on humans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale_attacks_on_humans

It’s an interesting read. I think they don’t eat us much because they don’t encounter us much. Given enough opportunities, they might learn to consider us prey. Or enemies, at least.

I would for sure get out of the water when an orca shows up. It would be a neat experience, though.

1 Like

I’m not sure I would worry as much about the biting, since they supposedly don’t, as about the giant tail swish that breaks my bones.

That said. I would still worry about the biting.

1 Like

Have you ever visited America ?

1 Like

Those people are essentially placing themselves in the orcas’ dining room:

If I saw a fin like that swimming anywhere near me I’d get out of the water first and stop to identify genus and species second.
Optional third: get a bigger boat.

3 Likes

or Tankah, Mexico?

https://www.tripsavvy.com/freedom-paradise-resort-1860707

download (21)

empty calories right there

But the Orca WAS the boat in that movie.

3 Likes

Fat though we may be, only the worst among us are as blubbery as seals and the like. Those folks tend not to go to the beach.

ETA: Case in point, look at those skinny kids in the video.

Aaand… we have reached full meta!

Seriously, I completely forgot about that. But it’s been quite a whale while since I last watched it.

My first time fishing salt water was wading the salt marshes of Tybee Island, GA.

I had a dolphin come up for air about 4 feet from me. Scared the hell out of me.

Some people would pay good money for that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.