Watch ghost car appear from nowhere and cause collision

At the same time, the driver of the ghost car is thinking “where did that ghost camera come from?”

2 Likes

Several years ago I attended a “high threat” driving course. One of the things they taught us was that, when trying to avoid a collision, always look at the “hole” or the safe place you want to take the car, rather that the thing(s) you are trying to avoid hitting. This is because we tend to steer towards whatever we are focusing on. I think what you are describing is the pedestrian version of this, they are focused on the other person and unconsciously go to the same side rather that away. And probably played a role in what happened in the video too.

Either that, or at least one of the drivers is a jerk who doesn’t think they should ever have to yield…

1 Like

Thanks for that. I thought i was going insane!

2 Likes

Seems appropriate…

3 Likes

There’s a list of humorous insurance-claim statements that’s been making the urban-legend rounds for decades now; this brings to mind one of the best: “An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my vehicle, and vanished.”

Sounds like that time I installed an experimental temporal displacement engine in my car. Seemed like the perfect way to get through rush hour traffic. Unfortunately the insurance company wasn’t buying into the fact I rear ended myself.

1 Like

Thank you for reminding me of something I have watched way back when, and wonder of wonders someone has uploaded it to YT:

“The accident was caused by me waving to the man I’d hit last week”.

Pure Carrott, pure genius - recommend watching the whole thing, that’s what I’m doing! (Oh god 1981 what the heck happened it can’t be that long ago…)

2 Likes

You’re not thinking four-dimensionally and thus asking the wrong question. It’s not “Where is the other car?”, but rather, “When is the other car?”. Obviously this car traveled forward in time. It order to find when it came from, just keep rolling the video backwards until you see it disappear.

I think it’s just a particularly bad video compression artifact: “keyframes” are stored periodically, and differences between it and the current frame are computed and stored. The approaching car was dark and low contrast and adjacent to some very high contrast content, so the video isn’t updated to show the “ghost” car.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.