Watch: Girl too young to drive careens into an outdoor table at Dairy Queen

Eh, close enough. (At least if you’re from Ann Arbor.) It’s a separate municipality, but effectively part of Detroit for most people, similar to how most of “LA” isn’t actually part of the City of Los Angeles.

5 Likes

That’s enough too-young-to-drive kids wanting treats so they drive themselves incidents. We need a too-yong-to-drive kid filming a self righteous YouTube rant while driving incident.

2 Likes

Its cool nobody was seriously hurt but why is this on Boingboing?

Also,

12 Likes

Yeah, this DQ must be right near the edge of a cliff or something.

so much this.

another cartoon

12 Likes

The most common noob mistake is mistaking the brake for the gas. Not really ‘mistaking’ but not having the muscle memory of the two.
As someone that tried to teach someone to drive stick. Yeah…that kinda thing happens even more when you throw in a third peddle.

2 Likes

“too young to drive”

Well, she got there, didn’t she?

2 Likes

Also an oldb mistake.

1 Like

Still safer than staying home and drinking the Michigan tap water.

1 Like

ice%20cream

For the love of God, did she get the ice cream or not???

8 Likes

I was in a car with a girl that had just received her driver’s license (she did the “at home” version) and she attempted a hard left while simultaneously on the gas.

She was a violent Mario Karter who also did not grasp physics well at all.

I could believe this Dairy Queen Smasher girl was not impaired.

5 Likes

My son is 16 and I have seen him do some crazy stuff over the last year. He just seemed to think he was an adult at 15 and could do whatever he wanted. I have no trouble believing this.

He is learning to drive now and one issue he has at the moment is with the sensitive throttle control on my wife’s VW Jetta. His right foot just seems to toggle between 0 and 50%, which makes precise control difficult.

I think its just something he has to learn.

@SamWinston

The most common noob mistake is mistaking the brake for the gas

Yeah and my son’s early n00b mistake was to drive with his left foot on the brake and right on the throttle. I think he learned to do that driving go-carts. Doing that maks it harder for you to think in modal terms (stop or go) and I wonder if it was a factor here.

3 Likes

Mario Kart does not engender a good understanding of the physics of driving… at all. It tends to reward you for taking the widest possible line and never touching the brakes. I’m fantastic at Mario Kart but it’s made me hopeless at any remotely “realistic” racing game.

Fortunately I no longer drive in real life.

Realistic driving games just bum me out.

“I have to break? Why wouldn’t I just power slide and throw a red shell?”

1 Like

Kids can be so literal. Don’t head for the DQ. Head for the parking lot.

4 Likes

Mine are 17, 15, and 10. For whatever reason they have never done something this dangerously stupid. While they have those moments of no fear (jump out of a tree from way too high a height) or the speaking without thinking (saying something innapropriate to the wrong person) they have never done something so dangerous as driving without a license for instance.

I could have said that until February this year. My son got a call late at night from his 17 year old cousin inviting him to a house party. My mobile rang at 3:30 AM, it was my son asking if he could put somebody on the phone. So I said okay. It was the police, who said, we won’t charge them with anything because they had the keys. And I thought he was in his bedroom, sleeping. Apparently not.

4 Likes

Why not go for something in between?

Fake video. No one was taking pictures or doing phone camera videos.