Watch gymnasts Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian throw creative first pitches

I hope it’s not offensive to say that I love your English spelling. It’s not always standard, but it’s all the better for that, IMO. Many of my favourite authors shunned standard English.

“Prescriptive grammar has spread linguistic insecurity like a plague among English speakers for centuries, numbs us to the aesthetic richness of non-standard speech, and distracts us from attending to genuine issues of linguistic style in writing.”

John McWhorter

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

5 Likes

Totally not offensive, I’m smiling like an idiot like now. :-))

5 Likes

Hahaha right… PC police?
Because smoking hot is a compliment right? Totally inoffensive! Something you can say to any women in any circumstance and it’d be acceptable!

7 Likes

Well, how will a woman know if she’s worth while or not, unless guys judge her on her appearance…

11 Likes

You really can’t parse the difference between a commenting about a Youtube video and what would acceptable to say to a person? Your worldview allows no subjectivity. Ex: Calling out to a random woman on the street that she’s “smoking hot” is definitely not OK. But seeing an old friend and say she (or he) is looking “smoking hot”, could be. Not that either is something I do, but some completely civilized people consider compliments normal. An Ivy educated, Midwestern male friend arrived at our BBQ Monday and complimented my wife on looking slender. He was not coming on to her, just being polite in his view. Forbidding comments on appearance, positive or negative, under all circumstances, is definitely the beat of the PC police.

Where has anyone said that we should ban anything? No one has said anything like that, save to those of us who made observations about the original comment. So really, who is attempting to silence whom here?

Also, commenting on someone’s “slenderness” is also… weird, and personally, I wouldn’t take that as a compliment. Thinness =/= attractiveness or merit. (Unless I was actively working on losing weight or working out and brought it up in conversation, someone commenting on my “slenderness” is gonna get an earful of feminist theory, jus sayin’.)

10 Likes

Wow. You can’t even admit to yourself that your comments were to call me out as un-PC?

You brought the PC police up, which I found laughable, hence my “Hahaha”.

7 Likes

I guess you’re right. I should have said PC vigilantes. Better? Call it whatever, you’re enforcing your view of what is civil discourse. And then claiming victimhood. Of course.

Hahahahaha! No, but ok, I think we’re done here.

Have a blessed day!

6 Likes

Mere disagreement with your opinion on this particular topic equates to ‘calling you out?’

10 Likes

I don’t recall disagreement with my opinion that she was hot. There was disapproval of my expressing that opinion.

Everyone is allowed to express their opinions.

Whether anyone else cares (or agrees) is never guaranteed.

8 Likes

Then we have no disagreement. But “allowed” does not mean, and should not mean, unscrutinized. And there’s the conversation, and disagreement, about where censure is appropriate. If you do censure someone, deservedly or not, you should at least have the wits to recognize and admit that you have.

I don’t recall saying or even implying that it does.

Did I miss the part where Missy or anyone else said that you should be “censured?”

Also wouldn’t this entire tangent be considered off topic, since the subject at hand is actually about the pitches Hernandez & Kocian threw?

Not about either one’s physical appearance, nor about anyone’s perception of it, NOR about anyone else’s reaction to that aforementioned perception?

Just sayin’.

6 Likes

Well, at least we’re back to gymnastics. Those were some very impressive backflips.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s not so much that they’re PC whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit, but that the real problem is with you.

Anyway, yes. Physically fit women tend to be conventionally attractive, and as a hetero man with a healthy libido, I instinctively notice that. Having said that, had the topic not diverged, I would have kept my trap shut about it. I mean,

if I only commented on Chloe Bruce being “hot”, it’s not PC to try to keep it on topic, it’s trying to not take away from the fact that Chloe Bruce is a goddamned impressive athlete. And she’s Daisy Ridley’s stunt double in Star Wars, so I hope this means that we can look forward to some impressive staff fighting in 8 or 9.

10 Likes

Sorry to stay off-topic, but someone posted a Chun-Li graphic, so while I’m on the Chloe Bruce, uh, kick

3 Likes

Not off topic, those girls are amazing!
(tho I do love that the camera man seems to be focussing on a certain area so much he crops out the womans head at one point… LOL)

8 Likes