Watch Hackers (1995) for free

Spoilers: Penn Jillette’s ponytail was the real villain the whole time

4 Likes

Another honorable mention for hacking accuracy: Real Genius which featured a hex editor and PROM burner.

7 Likes

Nope, that’s not what I meant. Queue the video up to 1:30:50 and watch the next 15 seconds or so, and you’ll see what I mean.

1 Like

Our next-door neighbors got robbed so the office installed new locks we paid some stupid sum for. The CTO was bragging about how good the locks were and I nodded thoughtfully, walked out, popped the door out of its unsecured outwards-facing hinges and let myself in.

If I can break into a place, anyone can. Honestly, I’ve come to the conclusion that locked doors are largely a social mechanism by which you politely invite people not to go somewhere.

3 Likes

And by the mid-90s it seemed that every other movie had hacking in it.

BTW, the best 1960ies hacker movie is Hot Millions .

Rewatched it about a year ago; still stands up.

The Italian Job does give it a run for its money. And there’s a Doctor Who episode from 1968 when Zoe Heriot took down a computer by yelling commands in ALGOL at it.

1 Like

EmbellishedTalkativeBelugawhale-size_restricted

k92

4 Likes

Here’s the computer being hacked in the movie.

Yes, that is Benny Hill, thank you for asking.

4 Likes

Yeah, I just caught that in a recent viewing. That one one slow-ass modem. My first modem was 300bps, and it was painful even at the time.

1 Like

Those of old enough to have experienced the real thing really appreciated it.

2 Likes

That movie was filmed in my high school a year after I graduated. I haven’t seen it in over 20 years, but I do remember the joke about looking for the sixth floor pool, but getting locked on the roof. That was an actual prank that seniors (unsuccessfully) tried to pull on freshman every year.

3 Likes

I love this movie. The remake isn’t bad as such, but it doesn’t even come close.
Also, I’d like a Miura.

Ha! As if it takes time to traverse from one part of a filesystem to another…

I guess that’s in keeping with the visual representation of the Gibson’s filesystem being spread out through that big room, at least…

This sound track is incredible; great rave jams. Also, a lot of great actors/character actors.
Having never seen this before, I don’t believe I’ve wasted my time.

3 Likes

Evidently, there are some special screws you can get to replace some of the door hinge screws that stops that. As well as hinges made for that purpose. You should install them and charge a consulting fee.

1 Like

Look up what a bump key is and your suspicions will be confirmed.

1 Like

It’s all a ploy to drive VPN subscription sales from the BB store.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Honestly, this is the first reason I give people for why they should watch this film. The soundtrack was so good that they ended up releasing three (amazing) soundtrack CDs, gradually getting further and further away from music that was actually in the film.

Come for the music! Stay for the beta version of WipEout!

Oh, and for true obsessives, there’s hackerscurator.com, which is about as in depth as a movie fan site can possibly get.

1 Like

The soundtrack isn’t on Spotify, but some wonderful individual has made a playlist of the songs contained therein:

I have made my own playlist inspired by Hackers and Wipeout. I welcome recommendations for additions.

1 Like

Pearls Girl twice on a playlist is actually the bare minimum.

-Rev. Al Green

1 Like