Watch how to find and eat giant puffball mushrooms

Eeeeeeee…you aficionados can have all the ones I won’t be eating.

Oh, yeah - and those #%@&* Morelles, too. To me, they smell like smelly gym bags and I vaporize them with a weed whacker whenever I find 'em.

1 Like

and here is where i have to advertise for Poptone cuz some folks won’t know. Ash and Haskins going out live doing mostly Tones songs (along with some Bauhaus and L&R). i’ve seen them 3 times now and will happily go again next chance.

2 Likes

I file this under “I don’t understand people who come into threads to brag about hating things”.

1 Like

I have eaten pretty much every edible wild Northeastern US mushroom. Let me tell ya, you are right. Morels are considered by many to be these amazing delicacies. To me, they taste like that dripping shit that comes out of the bottom of my BBQ after a hard rain. Nasty, smoky, ashy blech. And wild puff balls are not really that great, either. Like chewing a sponge infused with wood dust. Hen of the woods is decent, if a bit “oystery.” A few of the boletes are decent if you catch them before they turn woody.

There is one mushroom that I will eat anyday, anytime: the chanterelle. Delicate, apricot-like scent and flavor, with a hint of that shroomy earthiness, but so very light on the palate. I’ll have a chanterelle above all others. The rest of 'em? Let 'em rot.

Wild shiitakes from the Northwest are good, too. But not as good as a chanterelle.

1 Like

I get the puffballs and morels growing in my yard now & then (I fertilize with horse manure), but not a single chanterelle. The ferns growing around the base of it in the photo is the tip-off. They might grow up in the mountains, but not down in my sun-baked clay, or I’d offer to mail you any I found.

1 Like

I’m not allowed to be curious about other peoples’ reactions? Jeez…

Uh
Sure
Of course you can be curious.
I’m saying that I’ve never understood the impulse to see a thread about a topic and to tell people how much I hate it. But hey, you do you, as they say.

1 Like

I’ve never had a slug, but once you get over the texture snails in garlic butter are delicious.

3 Likes

This is how i feel about mushrooms. They’re fungus! :grimacing:

2 Likes

I love it when people post this comic. We live in this world where people occasionally eat spiders. Tarantula are a delicacy in parts of Asia.

7 Likes

Dear Lord!!! Not ketchup. A Béchamel maybe. Perhaps a Mornay…

3 Likes

Well that just goes back to the simpsons screenshot you posted: if it’s alive then someone, somewhere will try or has tried to eat it. Not everything on this planet exists so it can go in our bellies.

1 Like

nope
no
not gonna do it without a certified mycologist at hand. Identifying mushrooms as informed by youtube sounds like an intensely foolish thing to do.

1 Like

You are correct. No hard clay soils or hot areas. They grow in shady areas, somewhat ■■■■■, but not always. The biggest patch I ever saw was in the middle of a trail in a dry pine wood. Incredible find, hundreds of them maybe a ten square foot area. I picked as many as the front of my shirt would hold and left the rest.
Otherwise, I tended to find them near streams, next to the driveway in the flower beds, up in the hills, nearly always in at least partial shade, at the edges of clearings. And only in ones, twos and threes. Very occasionally a small patch of a dozen or so.

You know, the blacked out word is m o i s t. Good god, the word police have struck.

2 Likes

Let’s not start another condiment argument again… (Okay it is important but still)

3 Likes

Know an old abandoned farmstead where there is a ring of these every year so we’ve tried them a few times but it absolutely has to be at the perfect time and you really have to want to try it. They give off a sort of yellowish sweat when you slice them that kind of smells like pee so… just saying/… best prep for us was the breaded/fried tip as shown above.

I do recommend Quorn products for you fellow vegetarians out there, similar idea.

3 Likes

Uhhhh…Hmmm… I’m just going to go find a link to explain why fungus grows in a ring on farms:

Ring of Repugnance

Grazing animals such as cattle rarely graze near feces (dung pat). The zone of ungrazed grass around the dung pat is called the “ring of repugnance”.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m sure that YouTube guy lives in the same climate and ecosystem I do…

awww just like how my grandpa used to make them!

1 Like

The advantage of Morels is they are a very intensely flavored mushroom. The disadvantage is if you don’t like the taste it’s going to take over the whole dish and you’ll hate it .

Puffballs are very mild tasting. Breaded and fried I can’t think anyone would find them offensive, except maybe for the texture. Puffballs have to be young or they’ll start tasting like dried leaves and whatever else it has been sitting in.

5 Likes