Watch how to find and eat giant puffball mushrooms

I like them best with Jägersoße.
Which is… mostly made from common mushrooms, and maybe some chanterelles if they’re in season.

Boing Boing’s resident Hobbit wants us to write it as MOlST.

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

The genus for these mushrooms is lycoperdon (Greek “lyco” = wolf + French “perdo” = fart). In Norwegian it’s called “fissopp” (mushroom which expels flatus) or “ulvefis”, meaning “wolf fart.”

If they do go to spore, they are useful as a folk remedy for nosebleed. German herbal medicine texts in the 15th century recommended inhaling plant products; a favorite one was moss from a dead man’s skull, but modern folk medicine favors inhaling spiderwebs or mushroom spores (they serve as a matrix to trigger clotting). But if they are inhaled too deeply, they can trigger a hypersensitivity pneumonitis called (appropriately) lycoperdonosis. So there’s that.

4 Likes

You must be fancy. I don’t know what any of that is. Take me to dinner.

2 Likes

what is going on with his right hand???

Totally Disgusting! Onions in the pan AFTER the mushrooms! Who taught him how cook?

5 Likes

Béchamel is a fancy word for a simple white sauce of milk, butter, flour. Mornay adds cheese.

3 Likes

It always surprises me how scared people are of mushrooms. Maybe it’s because I grew up picking and eating them?

My wife, who’s from England and not a mushroom eater, spotted a brown mushroom when we were out for a walk one day and asked if it’s edible. It was a delicious porcini so we cooked it up for dinner.

In Finland we’ve got this joke about mushrooms:
“Learn to recognise all the poisonous mushrooms.
Pick only mushrooms you know.”

2 Likes

Gyromitra esculenta (korvasieni or “ear mushroom” in English) aka false morel is my favourite mushroom by far. But it’s the one mushroom I love to eat but won’t cook myself. That’s a treat for if I visit Finland in the proper season.

When consumed, the principal active agent, gyromitrin, is hydrolyzed into the toxic compound monomethylhydrazine (MMH). The toxin affects the liver, central nervous system, and sometimes the kidneys. Symptoms of poisoning involve vomiting and diarrhea several hours after consumption, followed by dizziness, lethargy and headache. Severe cases may lead to delirium, coma and death after five to seven days.

But damn they are tasty when you cook it proper. Fugu of the north. :smiley:

That’s exactly why. Just like anything else with potential danger.

Still, every year you hear of people dying or getting really sick from miss IDed mushrooms. I have heard stories of “experts” from one region, visit another and find a similar looking, but poisonous variety.

Personally I am not keen on the texture or taste, or the fact it’s a fungus. Although fungus seems to have little qualms with trying to eat me, at times.

3 Likes

I applaud your staunch anti-capitalist stance, as well. If I hated morels (I actually love them), I would be sorely tempted to harvest them instead of weed-whacking them, since they go for easily $30+ per pound wholesale around here.

1 Like

Chantarelles are wonderful, I am lucky to live in an area where they grow like crazy some years. Another great thing about them is that they are nearly impossible to confuse with another species, once you learn two or three easy-to-spot features.

3 Likes

Oh yes, wild porcini straight from the forest in into the pan…
I think next weekend I’ll make a nice risotto.

2 Likes

i felt like you - then I tasted them cooked in butter. that opens the door easy.

1 Like

O. M. G. I wish there was another button, instead of a ‘like’. I want a button with an icon of milk shooting out of a nose.

Yes, again, thank you. Now, I have to get all ‘regionalist’ on this thread. We had a farm/ranch in eastern Colorado. It’s a high-altitude semi-desert. By being west of the Mississippi river, and semi-arid, our flora and fauna aren’t just different because it’s the New World and not the Old World, it’s different because it’s also not the damp forest-y eastern U.S.

Locally, here in Colorado, there are 3 varieties of those manure-loving pasture puffballs. 3 are ‘edible’, in the sense that they won’t kill you outright, and the fourth variety will kill you dead. Here’s the 3 non-murderous: Colorado puffballs

Now, I can identify (Western) snakes at 12 paces, but I can’t tell the difference between the 3 edible puffballs and that fourth one that will kill you dead. It’s like the conclusion of ‘Into the Wild’ - you can’t come to an alien climate/ecosystem armed with a book/phone app/YouTube video written by someone who probably doesn’t even think of the West, let alone consider including its species.

Similarly, when new residents come here to Colorado, they plant lawns of Kentucky Bluegrass, and watch the summer sun bleach it straw-colored and dead in spite of the exorbitant water bill. Colorado simply isn’t Kentucky, and the Ortho lawn products you buy at Home Depot (based in Georgia) won’t tell you that.

I was being polite when I described Morels as ‘stinky gym bags’. They really smell like a homeless woman’s bicycle seat.

Yes, part of my brain does briefly visualize a dollar sign, but it is immediately shouted down by the blind, unreasoning hatred of their smell. I have GIVEN them away…

1 Like

don’t relish another?

4 Likes