Watch: Impatient man on long flight walks on wing of plane after escaping through emergency exit

You have free reign to do as you wish.

5 Likes

Boring easy answer - because no-one else will wait for your turn.

It should be that every row between you and the door, leaves before you do - and every row behind you waits. So we deplane row by row. But no - no-one is going to wait for you. If you try to wait politely, you’ll be the last sucker off.

1 Like

I think its more the issue of standing on the wing. He could have accidently messed with a control surface. I don’t think it would be possible to make that aircraft safe without putting it into a hangar and getting everything checked by flight engineers.

5 Likes

The main reason for “waiting in line” is that humans often prefer to be gleefully uncoordinated, and that this somehow equals “freedom” - to be sloppy, wasting their precious time and other resources.

Not unlike automobile intersections. Why not all agree to start when the light goes green, and simultaneously drive through at a certain speed? How is really any better to wait and move one-at-a-time? People uncritically normalize a lot of such poorly-thought-out behaviors, and expect others to do the same.

1 Like

That’s not my observation. If I wait for the rows in front of me to be empty, the people in the aisle coming from behind will generally let me out once I’m standing and “signalling” my intent.

7 Likes

So have you actually published any of these novels? :rofl:

If so, you owe your editor a case of their favorite beverage, maybe two!

2 Likes

Because safe following distance varies by speed and is considerably longer than the distance when stopped.

4 Likes

This an example of externalised costs. The cost to an individual who chooses and inefficient method (say, waiting until the total is rung up on the cash register before searching for their wallet) is minimal, but the aggregate delay to all those waiting behind them can be significant. Not that the individual cares; their transaction and wait are over. They, of course, cared more about the people in front of them also wasting time prior to their turn.

See also climate change and traffic congestion.

That’s true, but does not directly relate to the scenario I asked about, which is the deliberate lack of coordination between drivers, or other line-waiters. They could agree to all simultaneously start at 1 MPH and ramp to 30 MPH over a couple hundred yards.

Whether or not the cost can be truly “externalized” depends upon them subscribing to a theory of individualism which seems dubious in contemporary contexts. Is it more probable that all concerned are truly separate atomized agents, or inter-dependent networks that are negotiated and change over time? Self-serving bias has the prerequisite burden of evidence for there being a self.

Indeed, that is very much the point.

Of course since there IS an emergency exit onto the wing, there is a way off of the wing. Otherwise an overwing exit would be pointless.

I imagine there is a safe way off of the wing, but he likely wouldn’t know how to deploy it.

1 Like

Me too! It was only the once, as well, but it was glorious.That said, the back exit doesn’t line up with a standard jetway; this was a flight where we disembarked via stairs onto the tarmac. Sigh.

Yeah but only if the doors are armed. If armed, a slide would deploy. Doors are disarmed by the cabin crew on instructions from the flight deck once (or shortly before) the aircraft is stopped.

The one time i did mine it was with a jetway that accommodated both doors, which is interesting in retrospect.

My mother told me that one of my elementary teachers complaints was “Peter is always the last one to leave the room.”

Well, of course, there is rarely a reason to rush out of anything. The only exception I make is when the train runs late and I have a chance to catch my bus by going to the door early and standing there, until it comes to a complete halt. Because the next one will come 30 minutes later and our train station isn’t that inviting.

Emergencies are another exception. But even during fire alarms I don’t follow the group as fast as possible. I actually use the emergency exit which is closest and let management worry about resetting the alarm and relocking the door. Also, 2nd thing I do after I drop my luggage in hotel: Checking where the closest fire exit is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And this is a problem that has been noted in several accidents.

My understanding is that this is a feature of normal (type1) exits rather than overwing exits. After all, there is no non-emergency reason to open the overwing exits. But some planes are considered low enough that there is no slide off of the wing, but you are supposed to slide off of the back of the wing. And automatic slides not deploying is a reasonably common problem.

1 Like

2 Likes

Yes, I seem to be constantly stepping in my own crap as of late. I have self published one novel and after finishing this latest one I will be submitting it to agents, as I always do. If they won’t take it, I am planning a self promoting campaign. As far as editing, I have several sources, I use Consistency Checker, online thesaurus and I have a friend who studied English Language - Literature and Creative Writing who volunteers to read and edit my writing. I’m going to slink away now…

2 Likes

Ooooh. So it clearly can be done. It would just contravene the maximum inconvenience clause of the airline suckers, er, travellers act… :wink:

Sadly i don’t remember what airline or airport i experienced this at. It was like 8 years ago… Atlanta maybe? I’m usually on the west coast and my memory of that happening isn’t great. I mostly remember just the boarding and unboarding.

But yeah, airlines don’t care much for efficiency. There’s plenty of studies and suggestions on how to speed up boarding and how to make it more pleasant for everyone involved. But they’re more interested in separating travelers by economic status and charging accordingly. Convenience be damned.