Watch Jack White's slide guitar Star-Spangled Banner at Detroit Tigers opening day game

Originally published at: Watch Jack White's slide guitar Star-Spangled Banner at Detroit Tigers opening day game | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Before I even scrolled down, I yelled “Play Ball!”. Scrolling down made me laugh out loud.

4 Likes

Opening Day in Detroit is a state holiday, no one does Opening Day like we do. Stupid covid has prevented me from going the last couple years.

I watched that live and thought it was awful but Jack White is a friend of Detroit and Michigan so he got a free pass.

4 Likes

He’s no José Feliciano.

1 Like

I was thinking, ‘he’s no Derek Trucks’.

3 Likes

Feliciano famously got booed in Detroit in 1968 for his ‘radical’ reworking of the anthem.

1 Like

Five seconds after it started, I yelled: “Slide!!”

2 Likes

I’m not particularly impressed by Jack’s slide playing skills. Keb’ Mo’ and Kelly Joe Phelps are rolling over in their graves - and they aren’t even dead yet. Son House and Robert Johnson are dead and rolling over in their graves as well.

4 Likes

I got to see him play back when he was like 16, in some dive bar… he was great then.

2 Likes

That was awesome. I hope to see him in concert someday.

1 Like

Jose was too good for those people. His music and the accompanying film montage created one of my all time favorite sitcom openings:

1 Like

It would be awfully inconvenient to have to roll over in your grave every time someone did something tangentially related to a thing you did. I hope you’re wrong, because the afterlife sounds like a real drag, if so.

1 Like

He’s no Jimi, but I’ll take it. Play Manfredball!

3 Likes

I guess anyone who can stand up and deliver an earnest musical performance of that anthem without flinching deserves some kind of accolade.

4 Likes

But it’s probably better than being burned forever by Jehovah and I’ll bet that rolling over in your grave is great exercise.

2 Likes

I for one, am happy to see a successful native Detroiter return to perform for his home town at an event that’s important to his home town. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do not go to many sportsball games, but I know at least a half dozen people who always go to Tigers’ opening day, the majority of whom are White Stripes fans. Totally worth the crappy weather this year for them!

3 Likes

I’ve never heard anyone perform in a stadium that didn’t sound terrible. Just about the worst acoustic space, especially if you’re close enough to hear the performer, then the pa broadcast, then the echo bounce.

FWIW, everyone is no Derek Trucks. He’s a freak of nature, unreal talent.
That being said, I love Jack White.

2 Likes

It wasn’t the sound that was awful, it was his rendition of the anthem.

In my opinion of course.

2 Likes