Watch: John Oliver warns Meghan Markle about 'emotionally stunted' royal family in 2018

Thanks for this. I think I was superficially aware of the thread mute (writing this, I kind of can’t believe that word is still used on UIs), but I didn’t think I had a use for it. I’m not so bothered by the existence of most things that seeing them raises my emotional temperature. However, your post here made me suddenly view the bbs as a sort of reverse RSS feed. Treating each thread as something that I could opt out of receiving is a very different view of this tool. I’m not sure I’ll do anything with it, but it’s an interesting perspective.

5 Likes

Sure, no prob.

I can only take scrolling past so many BB Store posts filled with products that I will never buy, or SW toxic fandom posts, or ‘The Can Opener Claims Yet Another Truck’ posts, or any of the countless bits of nostalgic, self-absorbed minutiae that certain Authors here seem to find endlessly fascinating before I hit my personal limit.

Being able turn off posts that disinterest me is one of the most useful aspects of the platform.

13 Likes

Yeah, it really is. It makes me wonder if all the myriad other bulletin boards I’ve haunted have something similar and I just didn’t know what to do with it.

Bye bye, tabloid posts!

4 Likes

If those other boards are hosted on the Discourse platform, then indeed they should have.

6 Likes

It’s nice to see 2 strangers complimenting each other.
Keep it up people!

3 Likes

7 Likes

WHAT!? You’re telling me that growing up in the lap of unimaginable luxury as an actual goddamn prince or princess while being sequestered from even the most basic forms of human contact with normal people has the unintended consequence of stunting one’s emotional growth? Well now I’ve heard everything.

5 Likes

Joe Biden Yes GIF by Election 2020

2 Likes

I FEEL ATTACKED RIGHT NOW

(apply /s liberally as needed)

4 Likes

9 Likes

Found this today on twitter (guy’s account is at the top left). How close this is to reality is pretty jarring. Also funny.

6 Likes

Skipping page 3 on the “full report” bit is a nice touch.

1 Like

That’s where you can see the bird with her knockers out.

1 Like

What about the pro-brexit letters to the editors complaining about lazy Italians and Spaniards ruining the negotiations with Brussels?

2 Likes

Yes, being so true to the source material is what makes it a nice touch.

2 Likes

That’s in their “intellectual” sister-paper, the Bleedin’ Jurnal.

3 Likes

The power of the House of Windsor is not that symbolic. For one they have actually direct powers they can use just outside the view of the general public. Windsor still claim majesty, the semi-magic/religious underpinning of royal feudalism and they are also head of the English Church. That church has seats in the House of Lords and the ears of still a relevant part of the population.

Then there is influence. The Queen may be all kind of things but she is not stupid and influence is an insidious power if it is in the hand of the cunning and experienced. She plays games, with colours of her clothing, backgrounds, little words she uses… and we know it works because people analyze these things and they get reported on world news.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.