Watch: New 'Republicans for Law' ad shows GOP voters who no longer support Trump

Not voting? Vote Dem? Whatever the heck the point of the video is?I have to have hope.

And why shouldn’t we meet with someone that is actually willing to come half way? What is the alternative, public flogging?

2 Likes

What is their recommendation, though?

Who are they even talking to? They’re not talking to Dems or progressives, we already knew all this. Are they talking to Republicans? What do they think will come of this conversation?

They’re calling for leadership, but they’re not providing any, either.

1 Like

See, I don’t think they are. Just because they’ve rejected Trump doesn’t mean they’ve become less partisan or more reasonable, or are willing to change position, much less come half way to anything…

2 Likes

" GOP voters who no longer support Trump"

Uh, bullshit. When push comes to shove, these people fall right in line with whatever crap comes from Trump. These are like people who claimed to be French Resistance members in 1946 (as opposed to those who did so in 1944)

5 Likes

Could just be a mistake in the Wikipedia article then. Either way they’ve been speaking out against Trump’s actions since well before the coronavirus debacle.

4 Likes

Dear Republicans: Fuck you. Every single one of you. You did this to America.

Forty-plus years of Norquist Doctrine, deregulation, hate-spewing, fear-mongering, jerrymandering, anti-intellectualism, and general sociopathic behavior have culminated in the perfect embodiment of the Republican Party in semi-human form: Donald Trump. You supported Fox News. You supported slashing environmental protections. You supported voter suppression. You supported homophobia and violence against minorities. You supported tax cuts for the wealthy and destroyed everyone else’s access to affordable health care. You selected increasingly dim-witted and outright criminal individuals to lead your Party.

This is what you get for your greedy, selfish, evil policies. You don’t get to pretend this isn’t your fault. If you have even the slightest shred of conscience, you will apologize for your participation in the most corrupt organization on the face of the planet,beg forgiveness, and do your best to make amends.

But you won’t, will you? Because Republicans are incapable of admitting or even understanding that they have done something wrong.

29 Likes

It’s a huge country with a lot of weird outliers in it. Absolutely some prior trump voters will abstain or vote D in Nov. Small group? Probably. Should we be chastising them publicly right now? Probably not.

And what is the benefit of chastising them, revenge?

3 Likes

That was beautiful

12 Likes

Of course, they were fine up until now, when their own well-being is threatened. When children were being put in concentration camps, that was fine. When the treasury was being looted and our allies overseas alienated, that was hunky dory. But now that GOP members might actually suffer, NOW it’s time to complain. Damned sociopaths, all of them.

11 Likes

Absolutely. These guys are asshats – I mean, good grief, Mona Fucking Charen – but they’ve been against Trump from before 2016; his brand of crime boss populism is an existential threat to their old school neocon corporatist Reagan/Nixon/Bush structural asshattery.

There are many GOP voters who aren’t intrinsically assholes, and who might respond favorably to a message that they are not alone in wondering if they made a mistake in 2016, that others like them are considering changing their vote in 2020, and that it is OK to vote D, it doesn’t make you a traitor. I think that’s the target of the ads. If it is even slightly successful in this, then given how close the last election was this might have an effect…

5 Likes

A small ray of hope in a torture dungeon is part of the torture.

3 Likes

My sister, who is most definitely not stupid (politically naive, perhaps, even at 70) identifies as conservative. I asked her to write why she considers herself so. The answer I got was interesting. She’s a moderate liberal in practice, if not further left and doesn’t seem to know it. Not sure, but I think she’s left the Republican party (she’s in Kansas, so that would be a big deal). I do think she’s watched a wee too much Fox ‘news’ tho.
Also, about that screaming warnings…well that don’t work. What happens, what happened with my sister and me, was that I was screaming warnings and my sister felt personally attacked. Personally. Almost caused a rift between us as she had voted for Trump (the reason I think she watched too much Fox was because of her reaction to Hillary, someone I personally didn’t like but still thought of as at least competent.). She also voted for Obama, so there’s that.
So trust me, ranting at the opposite almost never works. It must be done gently, at least with family and loved ones.

5 Likes

In fairness, the group Republicans for the Rule of Law is a coalition formed around a nucleus of Never Trumper Republicans that’s been trying to turn back the clock on their party for a couple of years now. As much as the GOP planted the seeds of their own destruction, I nevertheless wish them luck in getting through to the Cult of Trump, but suffice it to say I’m not holding my breath. Maybe if Goebbels & Friends turns on Hair Hitler it will begin to erode his base of support.

t3dLl0TGHCxTG|nullxnull

8 Likes

Where the fuck were you 3 years ago? You knew what you were fucking buying.

Internal Screaming (2)

10 Likes

No doubt. But they’ll be independents, not the kind of right-wing ideologues who stayed with the Republican party this long.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not exactly going to track down regretful Republicans to chastise them now that they have regrets as to Trump and wish to vote for a Democrat to make up for it. Sure, I’m prevented from doing so because none of the Trump voters I know even remotely fit into that category, but I doubt, even with a great deal of work, if I’d find such a beast.

5 Likes

Boy, if that face wouldn’t inspire nightmares…

1 Like

And he’ll look good in comparison with Trump.

1 Like

No there are not. Try to defend the party. Name one good thing it’s been responsible for in the last fifty years.

1 Like

You are full of majesty, with all your consumate Vs…

trogdor

7 Likes

I applaud their anti-Trumpness. However, they are still Republicans and supported him, in the first place.

I will not forget - and neither will the rest of the world - that these people supported a madman who was fully unfit and unqualified for any office.

3 Likes