Watch: New 'Republicans for Law' ad shows GOP voters who no longer support Trump

What horseshit. They see the ship is sinking and no longer want to be tied to it. Trump was a well known con man long before he ran for president and they were perfectly fine with his grift as long as they could get in on it.

6 Likes

Put them in the “Too stupid to be allowed to vote basket.” It’s right next to the Deplorables basket.

2 Likes

Republicans for Rule of Law initiative was started in 2019 to pressure Republican legislators to hold Trump accountable for his actions during the impeachment process, so these particular Republicans were already openly opposing Trump before his gross mishandling of the Coronavirus pandemic.

14 Likes

Better late than never.

The disgraced Republican Party cannot be saved by a sudden return to sanity now. It is permanently discredited.

It’s all very well to persuade some Republican voters to stay home in November, and perhaps that will be the result of running this ad. But there can never be a return to bipartisan government in the U.S.

3 Likes

Late? As in their head will be in the basket next, and now they’re concerned?

1 Like

Yet they’re still Republicans. I don’t trust these airheads one bit. They’re just as likely to turn around and vote for Trump in November. If they had any actual morals or spine they would have stood up for what’s right long, long before now. All that’s been proven to me is that someone paid these gormless poltroons $5 to say they hate Trump now. I doubt they have the conviction to actually mean it- they just do what they’re told, and when Trump tells them to vote for him again, they’ll do it.

I very much hope I’m wrong about this, but every piece of evidence since 2016 has shown the entire Republican party to be utterly irredeemable monsters who just love Trump more and more with every new horror he unleashes. Even now, his approval ratings are rising while he bungles a worldwide pandemic and childishly mocks those trying to make a difference. And I’m supposed to suddenly believe that some of his drones have grown a conscience at this point? Not buying it.

11 Likes

Jesus, it’s like someone dragged a skinned face full of pockmarks through a field of pollen and cheeto dust.

The man is hideous

6 Likes

He’s probably got a really lovely painting in the attic.

7 Likes

:rofl:

7 Likes

I’d just ask: turn away from what? The Republican party is the Trump party, now. Any Republican who isn’t a Trumper is essentially without a party. They’re not going to change the Republican party, nor are they going to vote for a Democrat (they’re more likely to vote for Trump). So they’ll continue voting for Republican politicians (who then in turn support Trump), and maybe a write-in Republican for president instead of Trump.
All these Republicans turning away from Trump were fine with everything until he came to power, but Trump is just saying the quiet bits out loud, not fundamentally changing anything about how the party works. Everyone now pretending they’re the ethical, reasonable Republicans were fine with a party that hasn’t been ethical or reasonable for a very long time. If the Republican party stops being the Trump party, they’ll just go back to dog whistles instead of overt racism, to pretending voter fraud is an issue instead of outright admitting they’re trying to stop people from voting because otherwise they’ll lose, etc.

4 Likes

Huh. How does that reconcile with the Jennifer Rubin op-ed I linked above, which was from May 2018 and refers to them as if they’re old hat? (Your Wikipedia link even includes the Rubin link…??)

2 Likes

My reading is “Republicans for Rule of Law” is a specific initiative/campaign that was launched in 2019 but the group that sponsored it was formed earlier.

4 Likes

The sponsoring group is “Defending Democracy Together”, which this site says was formed in August 2018. That’s consistent with the Wikipedia entry. But, “Republicans for Rule of Law” is mentioned by that name in the April 2018 article. I mean, they’re all the same people, and the name makes no difference, it is just a gap I don’t understand. I don’t think Jennifer Rubin is super perceptive at the best of times, I hardly think she can see into the future!

4 Likes

yet again, @Brainspore beat me too it. :wink:

1 Like

FOX. Now Google. I guess nobody wants to get sued.

1 Like

Not voting? Vote Dem? Whatever the heck the point of the video is?I have to have hope.

And why shouldn’t we meet with someone that is actually willing to come half way? What is the alternative, public flogging?

2 Likes

What is their recommendation, though?

Who are they even talking to? They’re not talking to Dems or progressives, we already knew all this. Are they talking to Republicans? What do they think will come of this conversation?

They’re calling for leadership, but they’re not providing any, either.

1 Like

See, I don’t think they are. Just because they’ve rejected Trump doesn’t mean they’ve become less partisan or more reasonable, or are willing to change position, much less come half way to anything…

2 Likes

" GOP voters who no longer support Trump"

Uh, bullshit. When push comes to shove, these people fall right in line with whatever crap comes from Trump. These are like people who claimed to be French Resistance members in 1946 (as opposed to those who did so in 1944)

5 Likes