Watch: Now some Republicans even want the bible banned

My inlaws are very religious. I am much less so. I have quoted things to them before that they swear is not in their copies. Of which they have many.

In general, the more “Christian” someone tells me they are, the less they have any idea what the actual book that defines their faith says.

8 Likes

What strikes me is the opinion that the words in the bible have to have some sort of historical accuracy. It seems so odd after looking at practice-based religions like Judaism and Buddhism, where it’s common to hear mainstream views like “nobody has to believe this is literally true; these are traditional stories used to teach things”

ETA:

18 Likes

I was married to a lapsed Catholic. As an atheist that was raised in a nominally Protestant Christian household (Sunday school etc.), I knew a lot more about the bible and Christianity than she did. Apparently young Catholics are taught Catechism, a sort of Cole’s Notes if you will, instead of the bible itself.

6 Likes

That’s where you pronounce heretics with like a zillion syllables, right?

3 Likes

If you think of the Old Testament as a bunch of parables that are to be interpreted by a teacher to help people deal with current events… you know, like a rabbi, it makes much more sense. Parables can well be about awful people and events, and a good teacher can take those stories and make them relate to whatever situation is at hand. The Old Testament was never meant to be a theology. It was meant to be a teaching aid.

9 Likes

Not that modern Protestants really read the bible much anymore (as has been discussed), but there is a real philosophical difference between them and Catholics – Protestants wanted people to read the Bible and that’s why they went to great effort to get it translated into every vernacular language (even if they were languages that needed to have a written form invented first to do it). Catholics traditionally were fine with the Bible staying in Latin – the philosophy was that the clergy would do the interpretation for the people.

2 Likes

And you definitely want to stay away from the churches where it does.

6 Likes

Ironically, the reason it was translated into Latin in the first place was because everyone spoke Latin, but it was only the clergy who could read Greek who could do the interpretation for them.

11 Likes

To be fair, it does sound much cooler in Latin.

5 Likes

if you go through texas christian sunday schools you get taught that those stories are literally, inerrantly true and you better pay attention or you’re going to be fucked when you die.

13 Likes

And then when they die there’s some guy with a feather and scales and a crocodile monster thing asking them to recite the Book of the Coming Forth By Day.

14 Likes

I’m gettin a lot of Bible prompts from Clozemaster. If you take it in German, or French, the vocabulary quizes are sourced from film noir and anime. Latin gives you florid poetry and the vulgate.

2 Likes

after they previously wanted everybody to read it, which is why they had translated it into Latin

13 Likes

Unfortunately the conservative Christian’s here in Australia are just as bad.

And don’t get me started on the prosperity gospels wankers

5 Likes

This is fairly typical in Pagan communities as well.

4 Likes

Just tell 'em that Jesus would have been down with CRT.

7 Likes

Some lessons are obvious enough that no teacher is needed, though. There’s a reason why a special version of the Bible was created for some enslaved people:

Banning books might soon lead a few in the GOP/GQP back to the “try to stop people from reading at all” playbook. :grimacing:

16 Likes

They are going to be fucked before that if they think everything is actually literally true - for instance, they are going to have a bad time in school if they insist that bats are birds and pi is really 3.

I’ve been re-reading The Hero With A Thousand Faces, and he’s quite clear in a few passages about what he thinks about treating mythology in the Bible as history or science…spoiler alert: he’s not a fan. :slight_smile:

ETA, found the quote: “Wherever the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science, it is killed. The living images become only remote facts of a distant time or sky. Furthermore, it is never difficult to demonstrate that as science and history mythology is absurd. When a civilization begins to reinterpret its mythology in this way, the life goes out of it, temples become museums, and the link between the two perspectives is dissolved. Such a blight has certainly descended on the Bible and on a great part of the Christian cult.”

5 Likes

read it along with the The Heroine with 1,001 Faces, which does Cambell one better.

2 Likes

I think it was Penn that said it’s a great way to make atheists - let kids/young adults read the Bible.

I’m thoroughly convinced that Bible study circles are set up with the intent to take those that might be motivated to read the Bible outside of a typical church setting - and then guide them around the more iffy parts of the Bible.

6 Likes