Watch: Now some Republicans even want the bible banned

One more reason to hate the Bible.

13 Likes

Funny, I want the bible banned as well. :thinking:

We’d all be better off.

11 Likes

Republicans have always been against public education. This time they are just being more obvious about it.

12 Likes

The people behind the book ban may not have read that far. At least part of their gripe about nudity had to do with the part that showed new concentration camp prisoners being forced to strip naked and run through the processing area before getting ill-fitting uniforms tossed at them by the guards.

16 Likes

That’s about the age I was when I first started to read the Bible for myself, and honestly it set me on my path to atheism. I really don’t see how anyone who has read that book in its entirety can take it seriously. There’s some good stuff in there (sermons on the mount come to mind) but most of it is inconsistent, nonsensical garbage.

16 Likes

For most of my life as an atheist I’ve been in the odd position of being as if not more familiar with the Bible than supposedly devout Christians like these dopes.

16 Likes

Reposting this for newbs to this site:

Edit - site appears to be down - but you get the point (the Bible is full of contradictions)

14 Likes

i’ve been an agnostic since i was 16, ironically i became one within a year of my baptism. regardless, i’ve read the bible cover to cover in three different versions. the old testament is particularly rich in some wild shit. ezekiel 23:20 is a particularly pungent passage but there are others.

11 Likes

Don’t stop there!

When someone says, “no no no” it’s because they really believe the spoon-feed version of the bible they got in church or Sunday school is “the” bible. It really is there. Show it to them! Of course they’ll argue it’s “out of context” but then ask them to put it into context. Maybe they did, but the video ended too soon.

10 Likes

I mean, that’s what you get with anything that’s written by committee, don’t you? :wink:

13 Likes

And the part they took offense at was the brief nudity.

Yes, if anyone’s still wondering, they ARE the baddies!

22 Likes

My favorite scene from Paint your Wagon

Mrs. Finney: haven’t you read the Bible Mr. Rumpson?
Ben Rumpson: sure have
Mrs. Finney: and didn’t that discourage you from drinking?
Ben: no, but it sure cured my appetite for reading!

20 Likes

Our Republican friends need to follow Jesus’ instructions: (Matthew 9:13) "But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

7 Likes

“God will get you some day, but you were to quick and moved on Monday”

TUBES

6 Likes

“Well it’s ONE thing to starve, torture and gas millions of innocent human beings in ways that wouldn’t meet the ethical guidelines of the world’s most depraved slaughterhouse, but the NUDITY…”

23 Likes

Nothing strange. There are some really torrid bits in the bible: sex! Violence! War! Betrayals! More violence! And the odd spot of genocide.
Umberto Eco once suggested to publish the first books separately, as a series, and name the whole “The Desperadoes of the Red Sea”. Money in the bank, folks!

16 Likes

You literally missed a chance to get with her in the biblical way.

12 Likes

“If Don Wollheim had published the Bible as an Ace Double, it would be War God of Israel and The Thing with Three Souls

20 Likes

Yeah, an even more disturbing and more obscure passage is in Judges – gang rape and dismemberment! Yes, yes, scholars can claim that this is all symbolic and what not, but the fact is the text deals with gang rape and dismemberment!

5 Likes

Tell me you’ve never the read the Bible without telling me…

It’s weird to be someone raised atheist/agnostic and be in the position of explaining to Christians what the beliefs of their churches are… it’s even weirder when they’re completely disbelieving about the dogma.

But most of the Bible doesn’t - and a lot of things in sermons have nothing to do with the Bible. So you end up with a religious culture that is, in some cases, completely ignorant about their supposed holy text while believing things that didn’t derive from it. And those are the people who actually go to church - at least a third of self-described “Christians” never do. I certainly know people who consider themselves Christians who don’t read, don’t attend church and whose entire notion of the religion boils down to essentially just conservative American culture.

19 Likes