Watch President Trump attempt to say "Yosemite"

You may joke, but his real name is Samuel Rosenbaum. And that actually is a true fact: Yosemite Sam - Wikipedia

Moreover,

Sam was in some ways a caricature of [Animator Friz] Freleng.

So yes, Yosemite Sam is canonically Jewish.

I’m pretty sure that Trump assumed the pronunciation was like “anti-Semite”, a word I’m sure he’s well familiar with, given how appropriately it’s been applied to him and many of his friends over the decades.

It’s plausible that Trump has never heard of Yosemite, given how weirdly limited his knowledge of the world is (and how his cognitive losses have probably caused him to forget a lot), but this seems the most likely explanation. Someone probably had to explain to him later that “yo-semite” and “Yosemite” were the same thing.

I’m pretty sure that’s one of the reasons his supporters like him.

14 Likes

I mean, I would have given him YO-se-MITE.

One day someone’s gonna Anchorman him. Not blatantly, but I’m hoping for a rickroll.

2 Likes
7 Likes

We’ve got a Go-the (soft ‘th’) in Chicago…spelled Goethe.

6 Likes

First Gerald Ford, then Reagan, then Dan Quayle, then Dubya, then Sarah Palin, then Trump

It’s almost like they’re picking people like this on purpose :thinking:

9 Likes

17 Likes

Pretty bold assumption of yours that he’s ever paid attention to a written word…

4 Likes

You’d think he’d take the time to read and rehearse before a speech on national television but not my President. He follows his gut.

2 Likes

This one took me a long time to learn as well, I always thought it was pronounced yose-mite. The tiny difference is that I’m not a native speaker and this isn’t a word you hear very often. Also, I’m not president of the USA.

Anyway, another word that gave me trouble for the longest time was “superfluous”. Just from reading it, I always assumed it would be pronounced super-fluous.

5 Likes

Oy! It’s so humid!
Oy! It’s so humid!
Oy! It’s so humid!
It’s like a sauna in here!

(Edit: corrected lyrics and added link)

4 Likes

Can’t deny he is why I know how to pronounce that

1 Like

Oooooh, can we have an English spelling and orthographics rant?! :slight_smile: I can go for hours!

1 Like

To be fair, some of of that shit comes from England, where it is customary to spell stuff in a weird way that makes no sense at all to anyone, like Worcester, Leicester, Gloucester.

I’m totally with the guy in the video who says spell it like it sounds, or pronounce it like it’s spelled.

3 Likes

Go to Cumbria, and experience the joy of saying Aspatria (Spatry), Burgh-by-Sands (Bruff-by-Sands) and Torpenhow (Trepenna) wrong. Locals will accept saying Aspatria and Torpenhow as spelled, but no-one will know where you are talking about if you do that with Burgh.

Things make a bit more sense if you take into account that the names were originally Brittonic/Cumbric (basically Welsh) converted into Anglo-Saxon, then Norman and finally the local dialect of English.

4 Likes

It is amusing to see news reports where Brits pronounce the name of my state the way it is spelled, as Mary-Land. It is more like Marilyn.
Also when giving directions in Baltimore, it is important to point out that the street is spelled Eutaw, not Utah.

1 Like

…or “Cuyahoga Valley National Park”.

It is scary that the area was brought to his attention. I’m sure that how he’ll be trying to sell the valley off as a federally-approved garbage dump with a cut of the fees going to the Trump Corporation.

1 Like

N!@#er.

Explains why he flings so much poop.

I swear that anyone who hasn’t lived in Massachusetts thinks there’s one town called Wooster and another called Wor-Chester. Because they’ve heard of a town that’s pronounced “Wooster”, yet they always read Worcester as Wor-Chester.

Chelmsford also trips them up for whatever reason. I knew how to pronounce that before I ever set foot in Massachusetts, but I’ve heard so many people pronounce it “Chelm’s…ford?” with the question mark and pause and everything. Like they can’t believe that they’re not hallucinating what they’re reading.

3 Likes

Ah, to rhyme with Dolemite.

1 Like

tbh that’s my reaction on having to go there.

1 Like