Watch Sally Yates hand Ted Cruz his ass

(Excerpt from Yates’ 2015 confirmation hearings)

Senator Jeff Sessions: Do you think the attorney general has a responsibility to say no to the president if he asks for something that’s improper?

Sally Yates: Senator, I believe that the attorney general or the deputy attorney general has an obligation to follow the law and the Constitution, and to give their independent legal advice to the president.

35 Likes

Aaannnnndd another info blog bites the dust. Boing-boing used to be about things. Now it’s BuzzFeed-lite.

By the way, anyone who thinks US Code 1182 is “arcane” is one. injudicious. individual.

And you’re just the one to help us understand what’s really being said!

Welcome to the Boingboing BBS.

Stick around, read a few other threads, make some more comments telling us how it really is, set all of us liberals-with-poor-listening-skills straight :wink:

18 Likes

If you’re going to make blanket nonsense statements, perhaps you should qualify them?

P.S. Welcome to Boing Boing! (Points for the Darkwing Duck.)

7 Likes

Wow, this thread has really brought the alt-right defenders out of the woodwork :grey_exclamation:

18 Likes

Yates hit the regime and its GOP enablers on multiple fronts: immigration, Russian influence, a woman calmly embarrassing conservative men. Apparently, it was enough to get the alt-right’s flying monkeys despatched throughout the MSM and liberal and progressive environs of the Web.

14 Likes
  • Rejoin the giant underground fungus that spawned him.
10 Likes

Lets please keep this discussion on-topic, not derail into discussions of drive-by trolls (who almost certainly would love to see the discussion be about them instead). :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Finally watched the video. Who he hell claimed Ted Cruz held his ground? He was completely decimated on all fronts. Not only did she out cote him on laws, but she also established the president of law better, and even crushed his last second zinger after she interrupted her because he knew he was losing.

8 Likes

Someone shoulda’ outta’ told Teddy that you can only fit so many “facts” in a cherry-picker.

3 Likes

oh Texas politics… I just wish someone would give us a Barbara Jordan flashback.
(and I loved Ann… actually met her, lloyd, and chet a few times at parties at my grandparent’s house… and my Pa tended to vote Republican. he really liked Chet but my Granny found his children to be a tad obnoxious)

1 Like

Her Wiki page says her Georgia state party is grooming her for a race for Governor. I’d rather see her back to back with Warren in the senate. Forget Wonderwoman, we’d have two REAL female crimefighting superheroes.

3 Likes

I do miss Ann…

4 Likes

Yates 4 SCOTUS 2021

3 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

I quit reading HuffPo a couple of years ago, but largely because just about anyone who can compose grammatically correct sentences can be published there as long as they’re willing to do it for free. Yes, there is some actual journalism there, but there’s also a whole lot of extremely biased, misleading, click-baity, self promotion attempting bullshit, and I don’t really feel like trying to figure out who the real journalists are there so I can ignore the rest. It’s easier to just ignore the whole website. And I do feel like it is as biased on the left as Fox is on the right, and that’s another reason I ignore it. I am not center left. I am left left. Really left. Far enough that my own biases concern me sometimes. So I avoid obviously far left leaning publications, because I don’t want to lose touch with the fact that my views are not mainstream.

3 Likes

You beat me to it.

WATCH: Ted Cruz Nails Sally Yates for Blocking Trump’s Travel Ban …

EDIT to add “donotlink” to previous, and add the following:

I think maybe his real goal was to say these things anyway, even if they could be discredited. The fact remains that he said them, and they’ll matter to some segment (e.g., “WATCH: Ted Cruz Nails Sally Yates for Blocking Trump’s Travel Ban”).

One thing I remember from a social psychology class is that courtroom lawyers will deliberately mention things that they know will be stricken from the record. The judge will instruct the jury to disregard the comment, but the way the mind works, a person will think to themselves “Like HELL I’m going to disregard that; he can’t tell me what to do…” Like a deliberate Streisand Effect.

3 Likes

It comes off as a supermarket tabloid, aimed at those who know better than to read supermarket tabloids, but knowingly enjoy the tabloidy content anyway (“You won’t BELIEVE this going-commando faux pas at the Oscars” etc.).

4 Likes