WATCH: self-appointed vigilante punishes litterbugs

Just based on the stuff that gets dumped directly in front of my house (most recently: a bunch of truck tires), this is a problem in the US, too, and a solution that I frequently fantasize about. And I actually have a friend who rides a motorcycle here, and he used to “return” trash to people who dumped it out of their cars. Including, he once told me, a lit cigarette. He was quite polite about it, though. “Here you go, you dropped this…”

1 Like

Heavily edited, at least. Since I know someone who does this IRL, I’m less inclined to simply dismiss it as fake, however.

3 Likes

Oh please let this be real. This lady is/would be my hero.

1 Like

I’ve often fantasized about doing exactly this while riding my bike. Especially with cigarettes. Never had the red light timing work out, though.

Fuck those fucking trasholes.

i dunno, i wouldn’t let someone throw an ashtray in my car just for a fake internet video.

2 Likes

http://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/b/0/b0791fd676db93c37980e81798e4e1ccddb501c6.jpg

1 Like

Haha, excellent point.

Or how about: Litter Debugger, or The Recycler (works on two levels), or Street Cleaner (or just The Cleaner), or even The Trash Avenger.

Although, if we’re going to go with Trash Avenger, we might as well just go full on Toxic Avenger and call it a day.

1 Like

America was just like this, back in the 50s and 60s. We thought nothing of throwing our trash out the car window, without any concern as to what happened to it. There’s a scene in an early episode of Mad Men where Don, Betty, and the kids are having a picnic in a park. They’re sitting on a blanket, with all the paper plates, cups, napkins. They get up, and Don flips the edge of the blanket, sending the trash all over the ground. They turn around and leave.

We can all thank Lady Bird Johnson for shining a light on this problem, and kick-starting the anti-littering campaign in America.

4 Likes

[quote=“art_carnage, post:30, topic:41216”]
There’s a scene in an early episode of Mad Men where Don, Betty, and the kids are having a picnic in a park. They’re sitting on a blanket, with all the paper plates, cups, napkins. They get up, and Don flips the edge of the blanket, sending the trash all over the ground. They turn around and leave.[/quote]
Don caps the sequence by hurling a beer can deep into the woods.

I walk my dog a mile or so each morning. Trash dumps – other than the occasional bottle – are rare enough that they stand out. I make a point of cleaning up, assuming the dump is containable. (I won’t pick up diapers or condoms.)

The other day we came across a fast food bag dump. Kira LOVES these. Unless I grab them quickly she tears open the bag to get at whatever smells good. In this case, I got the bag and the big plastic drink bucket, but wasn’t quick enough to snatch up a cardboard sleeve of steak fries.

Fucking slobs.

3 Likes

I would not want her as a girlfriend.

Someone dumped two large wheeled suitcases full of clothes in my back yard, which is on a back alley near a subway station.

I wish people would drop McDonald’s bags, at least I can throw those away!

Years ago when I was living in Manhattan, I was riding my bicycle home from uptown. It was rush hour and on Ninth Avenue and 49tt , traffic backed up for blocks to go to the Lincoln Tunnel. I was creeping through traffic when a car with Jersey plates tossed a paper coffee cup out of the window right in front of me, without thinking about it I reached down grabbed the cup and tossed it back in the car on the driver. He was shocked and started cursing at me and I rode on past him until the traffic broke up at 41st. Street. Then I looked around and the driver/litterbug started chasing me down in the car. I escaped by taking a wrong way turn down 31st Street. It ended up a little scary but I had the pleasure of knowing that he would think twice about littering again in NYC.

4 Likes

Or way back in the 2014s, if you happen to be in Prospect Park in Brooklyn on a Sunday afternoon. Monday morning is a wasteland of abandoned grills, piles of half-eaten buffet trays and garbage eeeeverywhere. and the chicken bones…ohhhhh the chicken bones…

1 Like

Heh. “I gave you the clap.”

1 Like

Feels like a mod of GTA

or an adjacent geopolitical region.

1 Like

Russia? China? Listen, they still throw trash out the window in the US south. I’m a truck driver, and I see it all the time down there. And they don’t seem to care whether anyone is looking! It used to shock me, but no more. I wish I could do what this guy is doing but, yeah, wouldn’t work in an eighteen-wheeler.

My guess: Bette Midler.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.