WATCH: Semi truck narrowly misses car

Was I the only one who had a Depends Undergarments ad play before the video would play?

3 Likes

Letā€™s hear it for the truck driver. It looks like, even in a seriously dangerous situation, s/he didnā€™t hit anyone. I wonder if they teach that move in truck driver grad school?

sweet merciful murgatroyd. i hope everyone was okā€¦ thatā€™s the scariest thing iā€™ve seen all day. O_O

Look again. Thereā€™s at least one wrecked car next to the trailer at 0:32, and it looks like there may be a second one on fire behind the first one.

I donā€™t believe that was a scripted move. Just total chaos on ice.

[quote=ā€œunshaved_weirdo, post:17, topic:50297ā€]
I donā€™t see black ice[/quote]
lol. Thatā€™s why they call it ā€˜blackā€™ ice ā€¦

9 Likes

I love that thereā€™s almost a shoulder shrugging ā€œhmmmā€ sound from the driver shooting, as if ā€œhhmmm, here comes another oneā€. I think heā€™d have to shrug his shoulders regardless to shoot from that position.

[quote=ā€œAcerPlatanoides, post:11, topic:50297ā€]
Also caused two accidents at least, in the oncoming lane[/quote]
That wasnā€™t an oncoming lane - the cars were travelling the same way. I think the road had split a ways back, and the median barrier is there to make sure people donā€™t swerve across 8 lanes when they suddenly realise theyā€™d made the wrong choice.

3 Likes

It was only a B-double semi, theyā€™re small fry. Try sharing the road with an Aussie Outback BAB-Quad Road Train ā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s some pretty aggressive commenting right there.

2 Likes

I change my assessment to ā€˜driving too fast for the conditionsā€™.

Victim is a bit strong for a car crash unless the circumstances are known, donā€™t you think? Someone fell asleep at the wheel and crashed? Not paying attention? Texting? Theyā€™re hardly a victim in the donā€™t-blame-the-victim tradition.

Now, the person they crashed intoā€¦ thatā€™s something else.

Guy is pretty nonchalant. Is that a Russian accent?

1 Like

It was super icy conditions. I mean. Did you watch the video? That was pretty obvious. Google ā€œblack iceā€ and get back to me.

I grew up in South Dakota, which does not stay temperate in the winter.

But I do not recall hearing the term ā€œblack iceā€ used outside of Wm. Gibson books until a couple of years ago when my mother-in-law (Massachusetts) started warning me about it several times a week.

Meriam Webster, however, puts the first known use of ā€œblack iceā€ to 1961.

A very few years after the interstate highway system was created, and with it the common availability of travel at speeds where one canā€™t easily stop or see the ice coming.

You mustā€™ve lived in the sticks, because they mentioned it constantly on the news in the Twin Cities.

1 Like

Madison, SD, 30 miles from the MN border.

While MN mosquitos could fly that far, Twin Cities TV signals could not.

We had 4 channels - ABC, CBS and NBC out of Sioux Falls, and KESD (PBS) out of Brookings.

Some nights, if the clouds were right, I could get a ghost station or two out of Omaha.

2 Likes

European/coastal elite calling - are there bits of the Dakotas that arenā€™t considered the sticks?

1 Like

The Corn Palace

4 Likes