Watch: slow-motion video of 17-year-old Mondo Duplantis' record-breaking pole vault

Originally published at: Watch: slow-motion video of 17-year-old Mondo Duplantis' record-breaking pole vault | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Congratulations Mondo.

Pole vaulting is the track and field event that horrifies me the most. So many chances to paralyze oneself, even if you do most everything right

7 Likes

That is bonkers how much air he got.

7 Likes

This post is partially erroneous. Mondo Duplantis is 22 years old and the twitter video shown is from several years ago. The lower video is the one from this year.

6 Likes

Needs more @frauenfelder

One clue that these are from two different events is the different colours of the landing zones.

Geaux Tigers!

alien… clearly…

Amazing, but also: Duplantis is a pretty amazing aptronym for a pole vaulter. Right up there with that famous poker player named Moneymaker.

6 Likes

Wow.

Watching it in real time you don’t notice how much of the distance he covers up in the air without the pole. He gets up there and then jettisons the pole while still moving skyward. The pole is nowhere near as tall as the bar.

2 Likes

Don’t forget impaling yourself on a broken pole!

Pole vaulters are Track & Field’s equivalent of hockey goalies.

“Mondo Duplantis” is an amazing name for a record-setting pole vaulter.

“I am going Duplantis big pole right in that vaulting box and get some Mondo air…”

4 Likes

The slow motion makes it seem unreal, especially with how close he gets to the bar. I was reminded of this footage of a great white shark jumping out of the water. Just when it seems impossible that the jump could get any higher, it just keeps going.

Scene at 1:22

3 Likes

Mondo’s dad Greg Duplantis was also a serious pole vaulter at LSU as was Mondo’s older brother Andreas. The Duplantis clan is full of great cajun/swede pole vaulters.
Must be the name

2 Likes

They were either going to be pole vaulters or farmers.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.