Watch: Solo Texas hiker walks behind bison that seem calm — until one charges (and gores) her

Originally published at: Watch: Solo Texas hiker walks behind bison that seem calm — until one charges (and gores) her | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I’m glad the footage is OK!

7 Likes

Yikes! From the description I thought she was actually following them, which would be really dumb. But, no. Just trying to skedaddle past them.
That must’ve been scary! Glad she’s okay.

15 Likes

“I dont wanna into the bushes again”

Famous last words…

12 Likes

I was told to stay away from the bison… no problem I thought as I was taking the ranger’s advice seriously.
That day’s hike included a nice wide path through 7 foot tall prairie grass that would lead us safely around the heard. In the dense grass I suddenly found myself standing face to face with two bison who let us gingerly pass by and go on our way. They didn’t even flinch.
Next day, at the same helpful ranger’s station, I’m recounting my harrowing tale of survival when the ranger laughs and guesses the names of the bison who were probably standing there.

(Later I realized the nice wide path through the tall grass was made by the bison to get to the standing pools of water we were sloshing through. Stupid mistake missing that obvious sign, was lucky!)

6 Likes

“experts recommend staying at least 50 yards away”

Hey, guess which idiot became an expert the hard way.

9 Likes

… so NBD then :grimacing:

4 Likes

What to do in this situation? She was walking, the animals were on her way. Should she have calmly turned around? Made a detour?

But if she was deliberately approaching the beasts, well, it didn’t seem like a good idea.

5 Likes

This is why I solo hike in the comfort of my own home where the only wild beast who can gore me is my cat.

10 Likes

Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

3 Likes

A guide in South Africa told me a story about a group of tourists who were watching a herd of Cape Buffalo (a large bovine that fills about the same ecological niche as bison in the US). Cape Buffalo have a reputation for aggression, but the group’s guide told them that they could watch the animals safely from a distance so long as they didn’t make any sudden movements or noises that might startle them.

Everything was going well until one man’s cellphone went off …

4 Likes

Fuck around, find out.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.