Watch the banned "Taste the Bush" wine commercial!

What was this gif taken from?

http://itsallaboutgina.tumblr.com/page/5

(Looks like it’s from a movie, not “Coupling.” I don’t know which one…)

Yeah that’s completely degrading to women. Let’s get back to proper advertising where we celebrate feminism by disinfecting surfaces, preparing meals and washing clothes.

7 Likes

And that’s coming from the country whose national animal is the beaver.

6 Likes
3 Likes

For those old enough to remember when Schlitz beer was one of the major players in the US market, there was (at that time) a t-shirt worn by some outgoing young women that read “You can take away my gusto, but keep your hands of my Busch.” (presumably not approved by Annheuser corp)

If they were smart, they’d hire George W to pop his head up from under that table in the Sequel advert. “Yeah, tastes great”.

I bet he’d be up for it.

1 Like

Why not Sr?

Read. My. Lips.

4 Likes

@RevVeggieSpam, I’m pretty sure that comes from an episode of Leverage, specifically the “Ten Little Indians Job”.

Edit: just checked Netflix and I was right on the episode but bungled the name. It’s actually “The 10 L’il Grifters Job”. Season 4, episode 2.

The wine is from Australia, but is it Tasmanian?

2 Likes

I was under the impression bushes had been Braziled out of existence.

Any oenophiles care to comment?

2 Likes

it is a play on words…australia’s outback is referred to as the bush, and that is being juxtaposed onto a historical reference to when women used to have pubic hair. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Haven’t you heard? FULL BUSH BRAZILIAN is the hot new pubic styling trend.

head explodes

Seriously, screw this “women’s magazine” sexist, superficial bullshit. As an actual full (non-bush I guess?) Brazilian, I can tell you even the friggin’ names people come up with for these ‘fashion trends women have to follow’ manage to be patronizing.

3 Likes

I was raised to be a feminist, and even I was astounded when I moved to Europe as a young adult and learned that women could wear the same shoes and carry the same purse every day no matter what the outfit was. At that time in the U.S., each day you’d have to coordinate your shoes, belt, purse, jewelry, etc. to whatever you were wearing. So much more to buy, take care of, and think about. What a waste of time, energy, and money.

6 Likes

To my memory (based on inherently faulty, organic RAM), this origin seems unlikely. I recall first encountering the term in junior high – so around '66 or '67 – as “[the school principal] sucks donkey dicks.” The other leading variant was, “[some one or some thing] sucks a big bag of dicks.” By the time we were in high school ('69-'70) references to things or situations were made more public-usage-friendly by being shortened to simply, “that sucks.” (But when a person was being dissed, there was still some thing being sucked – like a dick or an ass.)

And, if that same memory serves, the “sucks [some thing]” usage was a response to “blows [some thing],” which was definitely sexual (according to my friends with older brothers) and was aimed at women – girls who wouldn’t “go all the way” might instead perform blow jobs, which were comsidered inferior to the holy grail of actual coitus. The transition was something like: Older Kid #1 – “Man, she’s no fun, she just blows.” Older Kid #2 – “Well at least she doesn’t suck.” Older Kid #1 – “Suck what?” Older Kid #2 – “A big bag of donkey dicks!” This soon morphed into targeting anyone or anything, and became less focused on sex – "She blows dick, “He blows ass,” “Vietnam blows chunks,” etc.

Anyway, during all of this, teaching your grandma to suck eggs was nowhere to be heard. I think I first encountered it in high school, via East of Eden (thanks to wikipedia for reviving that memory). I loved that phrase (explained to me by my cool uncle as being a dismissive response to know-it-all blowbags or whatever we called didactic pedants back then), and used it at U of M ('72), but hardly anyone there was familiar with it.

Seems more likely that “sucks” has origins in demeaning hetero women or gay men rather than poor grandma…or perhaps it’s an extension of the older insult of someone being a “suck-egg” (ass kisser) or a “suck-egg mule” (an idiot, or a meanie), pbly born from the much older “go suck an egg.”

I concur with s2redux - I can remember the 1st time I heard this
expression, it was in the 7th grade ca 1967, it went thru my
school like chicken pox and was used constantly from then on.
The association was crude and it was a way of saying it
out loud without being busted for swearing.
(I think even the same locality - MN. Wonder where we caught it.)

So glad to have started a conversation on such a by-now-innocuous word. I imagine the use of “cool” was also initially quite radical among middle-class white folks before it became ubiquitous, then cliched.

5 Likes

“Blow chunks” means vomit and it totally unrelated to sex. Rather than being euphemistic, it’s a visceral description of hunks of stuff coming out of your mouth (and sometimes nose).

1 Like

Right…which is why I used it as an example of ‘sucks’ becoming “less focused on sex” as the term morphed through gaining more users.

It’s so interesting to watch these terms change. milliefink mentioned “cool” as another example of innocuous-ation (forgive me, I’m dealing with both bacterial pneumonia and the Levaquin to fight it ; -) – that’s a wonderfully morphing word. Originally a Beat Generation term, it meant someone who ran neither hot nor cold, i.e. a person who resisted getting sucked into polarizing issues/philosophies/arguments/etc., trying to stay aloof and detached. Cool cats had a certain romanticism about them, and that desirability is what slipped into common usage; cool became hot. (LOL – in memories of my childhood town and school, “cool” didn’t really take off until it was featured in a Perry Mason TV show episode about beatniks and murder. Somehow, even among kids, Perry Mason held more cachet than Maynard G. Krebs ; -)

1 Like

More offensive than this one? They are both about oral sex, but hardly the same joke at all.