Watch the new Star Trek Beyond trailer!

Actually those are the parts of the movie that pissed me off the most.

Couldn’t they have made Cummerbatch play ANYONE else? An original character maybe? Or hell, Gary Mitchell would’ve worked.

5 Likes

I saw Into Darkness twice- Because I literally forgot that I’d already watched it until I was halfway through. I could sit here and rattle off my 25 favorite moments from ToS, TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, and DS9, but I honestly for the life of me can’t recall a single thing from that movie, even having watched it twice. It was a mediocre action movie that had fuck-all to do with Rodenberry’s vision.

The thing that bothers me about turning Trek into an action series is this: It’s that Star Trek wasn’t just a cultural success, it was the economic success that the entertainment industry should be striving for.

American Idol was the top rated, top grossing show for years. Tens of millions of people tuned in. Can you name any of the winners? Do you give a shit about any of them?

Star Trek lasted 3 seasons, but built a fanbase that persisted for 50 years, and supported literally billions of dollars in conventions, movies, spinoff series, books, fan fiction, and merchandise.

It’s the basic principle: Would you rather have $100 today and nothing tomorrow, or $25 a year for the next 100 years?

Yes, Nu Trek is a microcosm of everything wrong with the world: The refusal to see past the next election / issue / fiscal quarter.

3 Likes

I feel your pain, but it is just an entertainment franchise. I say this as someone who can quote TOS and TNG chapter and verse, who loved DS9 and found something to love is ST:VOY and ST:ENT. At the end of the day, the torch may simply have to pass to something totally new without the name Star Trek on it while Paramount and Disney throw our beloved childhood memories under the bus. Look, my wife and I are going to go see The Force Awakens in four days. Maybe it will be awesome, maybe all we’ll enjoy is the Alamo Drafthouse menu. But we had three awesome Star Wars movies and Star Trek gave us more awesome than that. So…wrong with the world? Nah, it’s just moving on. And yeah, we’ll make our kids sit through and the original Star Wars and Star Trek movies (through First Contact) because we’re good parents like that :smile:

But our kids will have their own myths to keep them company, and we’re cool with that.

3 Likes

cheesy space opera and beer? really how can that be a bad experience?

2 Likes

Of course? Because we were running out of other generic movies to fill the generic movie void?

I think that’s due to unfortunate choices by the filmmakers, rather than the themes themselves. I think that Undiscovered Country is a smarter, and in some ways better movie than Wrath of Khan - which I think is hammy fun but far over-rated.

What I think Star Trek does best is not diplomacy through politics, but diplomacy as a necessity of exploration. Which explains why The Motion Picture is my absolute favorite Star Trek movie. Star Trek, like other sci-fi, needs more sci in its fi. Camaraderie and space battles are boring.

1 Like

Truly Alamo Drafthouse has ruined 98% of all other movie theaters for us. And the only theaters is hasn’t ruined, charge twice as much as Alamo
¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Personally my two fave Trek flicks (though First Contact is a very close third). I think The Wrath of Khan had to happen for The Undiscovered Country to be as good as it was. Wrath was the Kirk opus. Undiscovered Country was the Spock opus. But I think the trailer for Undiscovered Country largely summed up what’s missing from the reboots. Classic Trek was more than an adventure. It was a journey. If today’s Trek director’s took the following 87 seconds to heart, I think more of what made it wondrous could be bequeathed to the new generation of sci-fi fans.

There is an old Vulcan proverb: maybe the best scene in Trek history…though Archer stranding aliens in the Expanse [ST: ENT, Episode 3x19] is a close second.

ETA: Also, as my partner is fond of pointing out, Ricardo Montalbán’s man-boobs shall likely be re-meme-bered long after Roddenberry is a footnote.

5 Likes

It’ll never top The Final Frontier. Or The Search for Spock.

1 Like

He’s Dumbledore Cabbagepatch round these parts.

1 Like

Brobdingnag Cucumberpatch.

5 Likes

Which is why they pulled all their albums from circulation.

Mumblecore Recordscratch

4 Likes

Looks like you accidentally signed in with your sock account, popobawa.

2 Likes

That’s the Welsh one, right?

2 Likes

Humperdink Cumberbun

3 Likes

Rinkydink Hamburgerbun

1 Like

At least he isn’t messing this franchise up

Circulation need not imply commerce, my muchachoids.

More of a Brett man, myself.

And, no, he’s not messing it up. :wink:

6 Likes

Why? They couldn’t find a Cuban to play a guy genetically enhanced artificial superman with an Indian last name?

1 Like