Watch the trailer for Chuck Tingle’s new trans-positive adult Harry Potter parody

Originally published at: Watch the trailer for Chuck Tingle's new trans-positive adult Harry Potter parody | Boing Boing

9 Likes

jimmy fallon wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

11 Likes

18 Likes

“Accio copyright infringement lawsuit!”

6 Likes

Slytherin JKR lawyers hissing…

7 Likes

Avada Kedavra infringement suit because parody is totes legal!”

Chuck Tingle only believes in love, not lawsuits.

14 Likes

Brovo, Mr Tingle, bravo.

5 Likes

Good for him.

6 Likes

I bet Rowling has lawyers smart enough to know that this is one of those cases where a lawsuit serves no purpose but to make the target of the lawsuit more money and fame than they otherwise would have had. I mean, I hope Rowling doesn’t have lawyers who know that, but my guess is no frivolous Streisand effect lawsuit will be forthcoming.

6 Likes

“Fundamentia Poudicus!”

Chuck Tingle is a national treasure and they should give him one of those genius grants.

4 Likes

Actual dialogue from Deathly Hollows 1:

Umbridge:
Mary Elizabeth Cattermole?

Mrs. Cattermole:
Yes?

Umbridge:
A wand was taken from you upon your arrival at the Ministry today, Mrs. Cattermole. [holds up said wand] Is this that wand? [She nods] Would you please tell the court from which witch or wizard you took this wand?

Mrs. Cattermole:
I didn’t take it! I got it in Diagon Alley, at Ollivanders, when I was 11. It chose me!

Umbridge:
You’re lying. Wands only choose witches, and you are not a witch.

Mrs. Cattermole:
But I am! [To Ron] Tell them, Reg! Tell them what I am! [Ron is silent] Reg, tell them what I am.

How does this woman not understand her own writing?

3 Likes

That would be the best publicity for Tingle

2 Likes

Unnecessary gender terminology is rife in the world of Harry Potter. For example, they could easily shorten the clunky “Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry” to the gender-neutral “Hogwarts School of Magic” and save four syllables.

At the end of the day sorcery is sorcery.

7 Likes

That’s interesting. I never gave it that much thought, but in passing I had assumed “Witchcraft and Wizardry” represented different approaches to magic. I did not understand those as gendered in the Harry Potter universe.

I never saw any hint in the books or movies that witchcraft and wizardry are actually different disciplines, they just refer to all the women with magical powers as “witches” and all the men with magical powers as “wizards.”

2 Likes

What is the gender neutral term for “wizard/witch” in the non-Wiccan sense? Mage? Do the D&D people have a good term for this?

“Sorcerer” is used as a gender-neutral term in the MCU (though they also have witches now).

3 Likes

But what if they are wearing a hat?

2 Likes

I think the Mickey Mouse segment from Fantasia established that at least some sorcerers have hats.

5 Likes

In D&D these are gender neutral and it goes thusly:

WIzards study tomes and arcane lore for magic. Sorcerers posses it innately. Warlocks make pacts with other worldly entities for their power.

As far as i know “Witch” isn’t a class, but it does exist in homebrew. The closest you get to it are Hags, but they are fey creatures and not normally playable. Also Mage is a generic term for magic user in D&D as far as i know, but i’m not an expert in the subject matter so take my post with a grain of salt. I don’t have nearly the years of playing as my friends do and i’ve never DM’d.

1 Like