Watch the trailer for "Wonder Woman 1984"

At this point we’ve gone from Mashup Culture to Mushup. It’s all just mush.

2 Likes

Yes. In the way that the “jumped in the alley,” scene in the first WW movie was an homage to Christopher Reeve’s Superman movie.
One suspects that the LED digital watch in the trailer is some sort of time machine that brings him into the 80s.

1 Like

Why the 80’s? Uggggggh

3 Likes

As somebody that went to college in the 80s I am a fan of this boxed set
Left of the Dial: Dispatches from the 80s underground

5 Likes

Steve Trevor survived because at the instant right before he would have died, a dimensional anomaly transported him into the Marvel universe into the “supposed-to be-dead heroes’ ice cave” where Steve Rogers later joined him. A DC character usually can’t remain very long in the Marvel universe because of incompatibilities at the quantum level, but since he was in stasis, it took him several decades before he finally phased back.

9 Likes

I love it! Especially the 80’s music; reminds me of my college days. Can’t wait to see it!

2 Likes

Love the name “left of the dial”. Remember the term “college radio”? (High school class of '87 here).

And agreed, there was tons of great music in the 80s. But it sure was rare at the time, buried under a massive deluge of heinous over-the-top commercial crap. And I find it endlessly fascinating that with enough distance it gets remembered for only the rare moments of greatness. The capacity for nostalgia is truly amazing.

6 Likes

I am reminded of how people mis-remember the early season of Saturday Night Live. Yes there were some innovative and FUNNY bits in there. But there was ALSO plenty of boring-unfunny bits and and repeated routines that became less humorous each time. “Land Shark, AGAIN?”

5 Likes

Excellent analogy. Anytime someone says the world is going to hell in a handbasket I point them to old tv shows, which everyone seemed to watch endlessly. How on earth did anyone find Facts of Life or any of that funny? Was it just because there was no choice but to consume absolute infantile crap? Compare that to, say, The Sopranos, and try to argue that times were better then.

3 Likes

“Left of the Dial” - that is a great collection with everything from the Dead Kennedys to They Might Be Giants. Does anyone remember the song a day phone number that They Might Be Giants set up? “Free if you call from work”

2 Likes

“Come Back To Me”

1 Like

Good trailer - loved the music! The scenes in the mall look liked they could be the same one used in the third season of Stranger Things…

1 Like

Love the Hollywood orchestral mix of Blue Monday!

Really. A lot.

2 Likes

alicesawwhatyoudidthere

2 Likes

My designer heart skipped a beat when she said that, tho…

4 Likes

Good ol’ Steve—that American hero (played by a blonde guy named Chris) who helped the nation win a World War by leading an unusually diverse rag-tag group of commandoes to take down a rogue science division behind enemy lines, ultimately sacrificing himself by hijacking an improbably large German airplane stocked with enough superweapons to take down entire cities. But surprise, he’s actually alive! And now he’s a man out of time trying to understand the new world he finds himself in as he faces down the next global threat!

cap-reaction

10 Likes

Is it just me or does the main villain look like he’s modeled after 1980s Donald Trump? And is that a border wall coming down?

53 AM

9 Likes

The song “Blue Monday,” although being a great dance floor filler, is really a song about depression (what good 80s song isn’t?) and loss of purpose. The title is inspired by a book:

"It was inspired by a book that New Order drummer was reading at the time: Breakfast Of Champions or Goodbye Blue Monday by the noted science fiction author Kurt Vonnegut. It’s post-modern satire on society and was published in 1973.

“It’s a reference to the invention of the washing machine, which improved housewives’ lives.”

Not sure what that has to do with Wonder Woman, unless it’s specifically about Diana’s loss of her love, Steve Trevor.

2 Likes

I think they just used it as it’s a well known song from the 80s, that is easily recognizable, even today…

11 Likes

I’ll be watching it, simply because it is Wonder Woman, 80s vibe or not.
My only disappointment is I have to wait until next summer!!

5 Likes