Watch the wrong movie announced as Best Picture Oscar winner, then the right one

Notice how Beatty detects there’s a problem and simply resolves it by handing Faye Dunaway a live grenade.

12 Likes

I heard about this on NPR this morning. The guest (can’t recall his name) described it as a “tarnished” moment for the Moonlight crew–not just because of the rollercoaster revelation but because they had to walk up there feeling some heavy empathy for the crestfallen La La Land crew.

Ugh.

5 Likes

Just clap like Nicole Kidman:

6 Likes

And flipper.

3 Likes

Yeah, and it’s a cliche but seems to always need repeating- it’s an honor just to be nominated. They’re all great movies at that point, and quibbling over “The Best” is a nonsensical proposition. Makes good drama but is ultimately meaningless.

Lest anyone start taking it too seriously:

3 Likes

I would have been oblivious to anything Oscar-related but for this unusual occurrence.

My compliments to whoever arranged it.

2 Likes

Hollywood Hand Job…heh heh.

4 Likes
8 Likes

For that same reason, I was really surprised Hail Caesar didn’t get any nominations. Haven’t seen Hollywood Hand Job, but Hail Caesar was a great tribute/insider biz/nostalgia movie.

2 Likes

Weeeelllll… I kinda liked it, but it wasn’t nearly as good as it should have been. And it did get a nomination for Production Design.

I’ve been to the Emmys twice. It’s kinda fun for an hour or so, but soon really does make you wish you were watching at home, with the DVR capability of fast-forwarding through the numerous dull stretches and commercial breaks.

As for the drinking, that’s more a Golden Globes thing than an Oscar or Emmy thing. The booze flows freely at the Globes.

8 Likes

Would that it were so simple.

Denzel Washington really didn’t look happy about losing to the repulsive Casey Affleck.

4 Likes

Hey, if anyone should have been able to pull it off, it’d be the Coens. It should have been a Hollywood Hudsucker Proxy.

No, he did not.

Alcohol is how I make it through the 6 hours of awards, pre-award shows, and pre-pre-award shows.

Drink every time you see a god-awful dress, and you won’t remember much past the first few awards.

2 Likes

the male gaze doesn’t tend notice much of worth anyhow, sounds like a good plan for you.

1 Like
3 Likes

I haven’t watched in many many years, but I was glad to see that bow ties on tuxes are back for the men. My favorite (well, maybe only) Oscar memory was from back when the little black button was the big new trend- David Letterman muttered to Tom Hanks “would it kill you to wear a tie?”.

Tom didn’t look amused.

4 Likes

I’m not going to read the article to confirm this.

2 Likes

ETA it looks like the guy they threw under the bus was tweeting before giving the wrong envelope out. Oops.

3 Likes

PricewaterhouseCoopers. It’s rare to hear any praise for fincance consulting companies here on the BBS.

2 Likes

One of my high school classmate was married to the woman who plays the coach on Glee. They used to attend the Emmy’s and she said it was kind of torture to put on all the spanx and makeup. There is so much pressure to look good and just presentation after presentation - there doesn’t seem to be a social aspect to it until the after parties. It’s such an honor to be recognized by your peers though.

5 Likes