Watch: These kids have to use rowing machine if they want to play their video games

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/04/watch-these-kids-have-to-use.html

4 Likes

Treadmills are a great artisan resource. People will pay you to get them out of their lives.

6 Likes

It’s been some years: I recall some award/prize being given out to someone who designed a sort of playground roundabout (like you see on playgrounds) that – when used – would generate power. It was offered as a “solution” to remote villages in Africa without ready access to electricity. I couldn’t help then thinking about the workhouse treadmills that prisoners/children were once forced to walk.

1 Like

3 Likes

At least they’re in the shade.

:wink:

2 Likes

I rowed crew for a couple years in college. I always wanted to try rowing on a trireme. Though I don’t think they let you ram the other ships these days. :slightly_frowning_face:

9 Likes

Keep rowing, Forty-one!!

(I hope that’s not too obscure.)

5 Likes

Rings a bell, but can’t place it.

1 Like

That was Ben Hur’s assigned number when forced to row as a galley slave.

41!!

5 Likes

Anyone else find it mildly ironic that the video game system in question is the Wii/WiiU which was sold specifically on it’s value of “non sedentary game play”?

4 Likes

So, it’s still being used as intended. Not sure that’s what irony means.

It is exactly ironic because the kids should be moving to play the game without the Acme company contraption powering it.

1 Like

Yup, that’s what we had to do if we wanted to eat, back in days of yore.

2 Likes

Dibs on Jeremy for my apocalypse survival team.

3 Likes

Having purchased one, it hurts to read this. The wait time between exercises defeated the purpose of the exercises.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to hook up some trireme game to a rowing machine so you can go all Ben Hur on people in multiplayer.

3 Likes

8 Likes

If I were in the game making business, I’d make a game about Athenian life during the Classical Period, including their maritime empire. I don’t get people’s fascination with Sparta’s slave pyramid scheme. Athenian democracy was way more interesting.

7 Likes

Back iin my younger days, I would daydream while working - about a keyboard with large stuffed keys that you had to punch, and a return bar that you would kick.

7 Likes

Yeah, the Athenian rowers were free men who were paid, which was often an incentive to vote for war because it ensured everyone would get a job, most of which would be spent in port.

4 Likes