Watch this 10-year-old boy cleverly thwart a would-be kidnapper

Originally published at: Watch this 10-year-old boy cleverly thwart a would-be kidnapper | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I lol’d at the Action News reporter saying he just got off the phone with police, then brandishing his phone to give you a visual reference for what one of those looks like.

I do find local news deeply endearing though.

14 Likes

pity about the script for that includes…

TIL kidnapping is a mental illness :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I was going to make a /s “kids these days” post: When I was a boy, I never told my parents about the kidnapping attempts!

But as I typed it, I realized how f’ed up that is: I knew that if I reported it (and it was only one time), I would never have been allowed to ride the bus on my own again, and maybe never allowed to walk around the block on my own again/never allowed to leave the house again.

I still think I made the right decision for me. Hope no other kids were less lucky. :worried:

16 Likes

Props to the boy and the clerk for being on the ball.

9 Likes

Or, the person is actually mentally ill, which caused them to act out in this way. That’s certainly plausible.

12 Likes

Channel 6 news in Philadelphia has a security camera footage colon

I’m not sure I want to see that.

8 Likes

same. one day there was a white car that followed me for blocks when i was a kid. guy kept trying to talk to me. i didn’t answer but i was not sure what to do. i didnt want to go straight home so it wouldn’t tip the guy to know where i lived. went into a supermarket and waited a long time and when i came out the car was gone. but that spooked me for months. never told the parental units, my mother would have lost her mind.

6 Likes

…has a security camera footage colon

what an interesting sentence period

9 Likes

Kudos to parents for raising a 10 year old who has been exposed to enough of the real world to develop the street smarts, resilience and confidence to deal with stuff like this. Most 20 year olds who’ve been helicopter parented who wouldn’t have handled it nearly as well.

1 Like

When I was 16, I once had a creepy man in a car start circling the block while I was waiting at a bus stop. He was grinning and gesturing at me each time he passed.

After his 3rd ‘rotation’, I ran to local corner store and got help from one of my sister’s friends.

10 Likes

It’s not really that bad with proper prep.

scared season 2 GIF by Blunt Talk

5 Likes

43534321_1903262483062850_4308844653160955904_n

3 Likes

Gasp!
@KathyPartdeux - did you see this?!? Someone attempting to use Wawa for evil!

Glad the kid kept his head in the situation.

4 Likes

WaWa cannot fail; it can only be failed.

5 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.