Watch: This adorable 300-pound Tibetan mastiff trying to climb into car looks more bear than dog

Yeah; the American Kennel Club says the males are 90-150 lbs, which is still a huge dog, but 300 lbs is twice the maximum. At 300 lbs you’re into Black Bear range.

6 Likes

Maybe this is Mouse? I mean, isn’t Mouse heavier when his full Temple Dog powers manifest?

6 Likes

Nah, no blue aura anywhere

6 Likes

I rode a little elevator with this guy. Um, I didn’t say anything to him.

I have no idea what to say to famous people.

I didn’t say anything to Sherman Alexie (before the allegations) either.

If I had I would have asked; “what was it like to work with Gary Farmer?”

3 Likes

The two Danes I have now are both rescues (and possibly the only good thing to come out of the pandemic in my life!). They are probably at the upper limit of that ramp at ~175 freedom units (79+ kg) each.

Jake and Elwood did not dig the ramp at first, picking them up from the foster involved a comical swerve around the ramp to lunge their front halves into the car. It was a very exciting day almost a month later when they both figured it out. The trick was leaving it flat on the ground at a choke point in the house for many training sessions first. Then again I bet the ramp incline looks very different from basset hound height!

Wish I had known about the efficacy of tiny railings, based on his behavior Elwood would have been real receptive to that approach! The danes are giant ridiculous animals, but having now owned four of them I can’t imagine not having them as roommates. If only they’d chip in on the food bills…

9 Likes

A Basset is a surprisingly heavy dog.
I think it’s all in the testicles.
Male Bassets have huge testicles.

4 Likes

Danes, alas, great dogs.
But too short lived.

4 Likes

My first one didn’t have any…he was a rescue and they require the operation. For those who don’t know, Basset reproduction is kind of unlikely without a breeder, so neutering’s not really an issue. But ya, Basset Hounds are just big dogs with short legs; first guy was 75-80 pounds, next one was about five pounds lighter. My first Basset had an enormous mouth, too. Much bigger than our GSD who is a large dog as well.

2 Likes

When I was a kid a neighbour had a great dane who spent a lot of time with me and my dog, a beagle, because we were always outside. Just the sweetest dog, but kind of fearful. Thunderstorm and she’s in your lap. The owner had a Volvo PV544 and would put the dog in the back seat for trips. The dog’s body would be pressed up against the windows, the face ending up never in the same place twice. It looked like he had inflated a Great Dane balloon in his car

7 Likes

On the other hand…
https://www.tiktok.com/@eidenchor/video/6957280150459403525

I’d call that badge the Synchronous Sesame Street Star

I guess that’s the “mastiff” part of the name showing through.

3 Likes

That’s pronounced “79 commiegrams”

6 Likes

3 Likes

When I was a kid I thought Barkley was a cyclops. It’s still not clear that’s his nose.

2 Likes
3 Likes

TikTok videos posted to the main page have stopped working for me. I’m using Chrome Version 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit). That being said: Dayum that’s a big doggo.

1 Like

Might as well go all the way:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.