Watch this awesome young dancer at a protest in Puerto Rico

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/03/watch-this-awesome-young-dance.html

10 Likes

This takes me back to my school days in Venezuela. We also have African dance traditions we call “Repique de tambor” or drum beat, drum circle, etc in English. I have really fond memories of my school having a day where we celebrated our African influences and had our school band play and sing while students danced. Always warms my heart and amps me up when i hear this kind of music.

24 Likes

I recognize some of these moves also. With some gestures she is brushing obstacles away, & with others chopping them back with a machete. May it be so.

19 Likes

Not only great dancing, but great drumming too.

8 Likes

Was looking at some of the other PR posts on Twitter and man. Puerto Rico isn’t fucking around

10 Likes

A guillotine with the Puerto Rican flag on the blade… I’m here for it.

12 Likes

Love the “wiping my hands clean of this shit” dance move.

But there was a little too much eerie exploited minstrel vibe for me to really get into it.

You do know this has direct African roots right? Like. The opposite of an exploited minstrel thing. It was among the things that Africans were able to hold onto after being sent over to the Americas as slaves and many Latin countries celebrate that.

15 Likes

Nothing quite like seeing cultural exploitation when there ain’t any.

8 Likes

Great dancing, but… more footwork, please. And skip the crowd shots too.

3 Likes

^^This^^

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.