Watch: this guy set up an automatic sprinkler to soak people crossing his lawn

A very common phenomenon in my neighborhood is that some people do bag the poop, but then leave the bag in people’s yard or bushes. I’m trying to understand what’s going through the minds of people who do that. I hate the folks who don’t do anything at all to clean up after their dogs but at least it’s easy to understand their motivation. The half-step just doesn’t make sense.

19 Likes

Why are so many boingboing posts like this pictures instead of videos? This has been going on for years.

You’re probably right - I’m Canadian, and I only know two Americans who’ve had it happen to them, and I’ve never really looked into the actual statistics of it. On the other hand, I also know that the one guy who tried to pull that crap here got charged with fraud and contempt of court. The judges here have very little patience for professional “sue for damages” con artists.

This was a chronic problem for my front lawn. My solution was an itty bitty paver fence with some pet-unfriendly short shrubbery behind it. It turns out several varieties of heather are mildly repulsive to cats and dogs while providing evergreen ground cover and lovely seasonal flowers.

17 Likes

The post does have videos; 3 of them.

Maybe an over restrictive ad or script blocker is the issue.

2 Likes

“BUBBLE PARTY!!”

3 Likes

What an absolute asshole.

1 Like

6 Likes

While using this against humans seems to break the spirit of the social contract, if something like this would keep the rabbits out of the garden I think I’ll be making an investment for the next growing season.

1 Like

Repelling rodents is the intended function of this sort of sprinkler head.

4 Likes

With the sprinkler, they have different walking pattern.
Faster, and actually, longer walk into the garden.

Shit, just put up a “If you cut across my grass/I’ll spray water at your ass/Burma Shave” sign and get ad revenue from being a cantankerous old crank.

Hell, give it a couple months and a desire path will have been worn into the grass for free.

Ha! Owl nest boxes?

2 Likes

I can agree with some that this is seems a little douchey. All that being said it’s not city property. It’s private property. You are not entitled to use it cause you want to, or that it saves you a minute on your way. Why should he have to go down to planning and zoning pay for a permit to build a fence. In most jurisdictions you can’t just “build” a fence. This is on top of the cost of a fence. People and animals tend to walk in the same general area when they do these sorts of things. Hence paths are formed when the vegetation is killed. Who’s going to pay to keep the grass growing there? Not to mention if someone is injured on the property, and if it can be proven that it’s in general use as a walkway, and you allowed it for a period of time, you could be sued for a dangerous condition. Just like snow on a sidewalk. It’s private property. You do not have the right to use it without the permission of the owner. You still have rights to private property. It’s really just the general principle of the matter to me, and obviously the owner of this property.

3 Likes

That depends on where one lives, though. My mother has a corner lot like this, and it’s at least half public easement.

5 Likes

Yeah, we have a power line easement through our property and we don’t have to, but we totally let people walk along it, or ski or snowmobile in the winter. It doesn’t hurt anything, so why not?
Although, one year some dipshit came tearing it all up in his new 4WD truck, not just the set path but all up where we’d been sowing pollinator mix of seeds (to great success, happy to report). He got himself stuck and I poured myself a glass of wine and watched from the hilltop as he tried to get out.
I did finally take pity and offer assistance. As soon as he got traction, he immediately tore off across the meadow again and dove into the ditch. :woman_shrugging:t2: Had to get a tow after all.

10 Likes

These are both important points. This sprinkler is an escalation of a situation. Rule one of living with other people is never escalate. Teenagers are going to egg his house and key his car now, they’ll be caught on his camera, he’ll call the police, someone will get sued, lawyers and courts get involved and now it’s a huge years long mess of stress and damaged lives over nothing.

Escalation is never the way to live in a society.

6 Likes

I like the cut of your jib. If I was in a saucier mood and knew where the Old man(?) who liked to yell at clouds lived, I would be sorely tempted.

Bonus action: wait until my car is dirty, then soap up and drive both ways to get all the dirt off

Who in this thread said people have the right to walk on his lawn? Nobody. Of course they don’t. Does that justify this man’s behavior? Absolutely not.

Citation needed. I’ve lived in 7 cities in two countries and not one of them requires a permit to build a fence as long as it’s under 6’ high.

It’s also only one of many non-douchey solutions to the problem suggested in this thread which you are willfully disregarding, seemingly in a desire to defend the unimpeachable sanctity of private property in the form of suburban lawn. Decorative garden edging one foot high, bushes on the corners, a hedge, some shrubbery, all sorts of pleasant options are easily available.

Because sometimes to live in a community with other humans, we have to do things that we “shouldn’t have to”. I shouldn’t have to have double glazed windows to block the noise of loud motorcycles, but I do. I shouldn’t have to pick up trash that motorists throw on my lawn, but I do. These little things are part of life in a city.

How many things do you do that bother other people and create things they shouldn’t have to deal with? You are not perfect, and I bet you annoy people in all sorts of ways that you are not aware of.

Citation needed.

This is not the same thing. Cities that get snow have specific ordinances that people must clear it from the sidewalks in front of their houses. It’s city property, but we all agree to shovel it by living in the city because it’s the right thing to do and it would cost a fortune to have the city do it.

It’s clear you care super super hard about this, in which case don’t live near people. You seem to be okay with spraying water at little old ladies and scaring kids with alarms. God forbid anyone touch your stuff ever for any reason, we get it. I’m glad you’re not my neighbour. Who knows what you might do if I accidentally cross you in some way.

9 Likes

Where I live, the normal solution is something diagonally to the corner. I agree with people posting that plants would be better for this in all possible ways.

2 Likes