Watch This Hilariously Insane NRA Ad

It’s called “Pioneers of the Territory” and it’s on the grounds of the Iowa State Capitol, so probably not:

The artist did make a number of Civil War memorials, but for the Union side. He made this one in 1892.

2 Likes

Indeed. For an organization that supports hunters, they are awful quiet about the shrinking wilderness.

8 Likes

This isn’t addressed to ISIS; it’s totally just a circle-jerk for dumbarse bear-arm fuckwits.

5 Likes

You don’t really think this ad will be broadcast in Iran.

1 Like

I’ve never lived in NYC, but isn’t the “urban warzone” they showed actually a pretty upscale area? (Or is it unidentifiable?)

2 Likes

thanks… but watching that could you blame me for thinking otherwise…

1 Like

Not at all, I was just wondering if I could find it by image searching a screenshot.

You might be surprised at the number of outdoorsmen who don’t really give a shit about conservation, as long as they get to go out and shoot, catch, whatever things they want. A lot of them write off any conservation efforts as “hippy bullshit”, for example the contentious topic of dam removals.

8 Likes

*Sigh*

No, I wouldn’t be. Not in this country.

4 Likes

Do the NRA really think this video will help with anything?

The US needs to have a sane gun organisation, the NRA are doing their members no favours.

6 Likes

Can you repeat this post so I can like it again? :relaxed:

4 Likes

Grim is right, Oregon’s terrible. AVOID AT ALL COSTS

3 Likes

According to people in the video comments, that cowboy is Charlie Daniels. Accomplished fiddler and nut.

Hunters and Sportsmen as a group are some of the largest supporters of saving the wilderness.

http://www.ducks.org/

But the NRA just capitalizes on the fear that someone is going to take away their hunting rifles and shotguns…

Which is quite sad. Those are the guns the US revolutionaries were talking about. Not pistols. Not machine guns. Not urban assault weapons.

Guns actual people use for actual things they have a use for. Getting food. Protecting their families from actual real threats in the wilderness. Those were huge issues for people living off the land. And still are for people living off the land now.

Its a failure to understand people’s perspectives and have the conversation. Which isn’t surprising in a world where political views are whittled down to fit within 140 characters and shouted at the world.

2 Likes

Oh, THAT guy. His main claim to fame of beating the Devil in a fiddling contest always sounded suspect to me. As Fry once observed, “Wouldn’t a solid gold fiddle weigh hundreds of pounds and sound crummy?”

14 Likes

This whole “Freedom’s Safest Place” series has been Drumpf-style ugly.

3 Likes

The editorial content is awful, but man, the black and white John Ford-style video is just beautiful.

5 Likes

Jesus, that’s just embarrassing.

1 Like

That might have something to do with the brain-dead hippies prominent in the dam removal “movement”.

I try to talk to those people. I explain to them that every stream for hundreds of miles around me was historically heavily impounded by thousands of beaver dams, and that their dynamite campaign is doing more harm to this environment than the admittedly harmful and dangerous industrial dams, and that the area is too heavily urbanized to support beaver now, and that they need to direct their efforts towards better dam technology and not just convert every watercourse into a dry and sterile sluice to the sea, but they are too busy banging their goddam spirit drums and shopping Gaia magazine to study limnology or history or hear any critcism. They’ll diss hunters and fishermen while permanently destroying entire habitats sorely needed by native species…

Uh, sorry. I seem to have gotten off on a rant there.

1 Like

Well those beaver dams are good things.

Thats the habitat where young salmon get their start.

Rivers rush too fast now and tear the little dudes apart.

But yeah… believe it or not I’m having the same arguments about dam removal…

Holy shit there’s a way to have hydropower and salmon.

Its a third rail… no one likes their binary positions sullied with facts and middle grounds it seems.

1 Like