Watch: Tough guy Ron DeSantis says Disney "crossed the line"

Some of the CA folks will be upset but typically when Disney moves folks from CA to FL those people keep their CA salaries. I knew a manager who experienced that. He was able to afford a much bigger house in an upscale area.

1 Like

Which is great, when the move is optional. For many people there are factors like family, friends, weather preferences, and in this case a totally hostile & discriminatory state government in Florida that will lead them to leave the company rather than accept the forced move.

After a lot of thought my neighbor decided to do the move. I know others who have decided not to. Plus a lot of the old guard at WDI is retiring early rather than uproot their lives and move to Florida, so a huge amount of institutional knowledge and culture in the Disney Imagineering group is going to be lost. And Florida doesn’t have the same local entertainment industry talent pool that places like Hollywood have to recruit new workers from.

The entire impetus behind this move is a big dumb tax break negotiated with the Florida government. Which is of course why Chapek was initially reluctant to speak up against the bill lest he offend the legislators and risk losing it.

14 Likes

We must respect and protect families.

Except families with trans kids and those kids. You can fuck them right up.

22 Likes

Oh, so they only want corporations to have this kind of power when it helps them, huh? Who would’ve thunk?

2 Likes

Are you implying that he is a “Stooge”. I don’t think he has that much “talent”. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

4 Likes

DF950626

14 Likes

Getting real tired of this guys schtick of grandstanding all the time and pushing laws that are only laws because someone hasn’t brought them to court yet to be tested.

3 Likes

That’s a real hopeful statement since it hasn’t happened yet. I’m hoping it works out, too.

6 Likes

Jimmy Buffet, we’re looking at you.

1 Like

This went pretty much exactly the way I expected it to.

I’m pissed Disney waited until the law was in the books to call it out, but I’ll take the win as long as the thing gets ripped out of the books and annihilated, I guess.

6 Likes

It’s was Disney’s business to make Iines, to make more lines, cross lines until it had a graphic vision. Where did you go?

If I could collect on the bet, I would bet that there were several hours of zoom meetings where Disney operatives and Florida operatives discussed how to play this. They may have decided that harmless, toothless hostility on both sides would please their various stakeholders.

I have a friend who works for Disney who was told he might expect to have to move in a year to keep his job. He is sickened at the prospect and looking for (a) other jobs or (b) workarounds (Disney isn’t moving everybody).

Did you know Florida is paying Disney about $250,000 for each job moved from Burbank to Orlando?

5 Likes

it would be ironic if enough left leaning people moved to florida to swing the vote away from the gop. the margins there seem to be very close…

( i know realistically though these laws are probably a filter: who would want to move to a state where they or their children are under constant attack? )

3 Likes

Florida politics has become nothing but performative assholery with the GOP controlled state legislature - DeSantis has pushed it further and further and continues to push out local cities and counties from being able to make their own local laws and regulations without being overruled by the state if they think it’s took ‘woke’ - on top of the attacks on LGBTQ kids and teachers on whole, they’re pushing so that businesses can sue a city if a local law costs the corp. monetary loss and are also pushing laws to go after corporations if they have training that makes while people uncomfortable.

I’d love to move out of the state if i could afford it, maybe i could start a gofundme and get the GQP to chip in enough to get me out of ‘their’ state.

4 Likes

Buffet sold out a long time ago. Just look at the tactics used by his Margaritaville Resorts.

2 Likes

Once again the epicpass ski resorts ad ruined my viewing experience. What did the-sanitizer say about Disney?

If anything good could come out of this bill, it’s . . .

4 Likes

I would imagine any politician that starts seriously talking about that will have all their dirty laundry (anything that can be found by a small army of the best private investigators money can buy) aired by just about every form of media that is available in Florida. And that dirty laundry will be presented using techniques for evoking just the right sentiments and messages that have been perfected by decades of working on Disney films.

If you attack the mouse that lays the golden eggs, expect the mouse to fight back hard.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.