Watch what happens when man brings accordion on Ryanair flight

This was already addressed :thumbsup:

Seemed too minor to bother striking. And FWIW, as previously mentioned, it’s been well appropriated as an Irish tune, enough that the song is classified as Irish, and Irish takes on it are far away the most famous versions.

1 Like

Dirty old town is actually an English song - by the great Ewan McColl, about the town of Salford, though admittedly the Pogues covered it.

(I’d also say the flight attendants are not likely to be musicians, because you usually don’t play a “song” but rather a “tune”, songs are sung).

1 Like

A viola is the same size as a violin, it’s just that viola players have smaller heads.

2 Likes

Percy Fawcett the English explorer who was lost in South America was once saved by the accordion.

On one of his earlier trips, he was going down a river in a dugout canoe and passed an unfriendly native village - they started firing arrows, some of which went through the sides of the canoe. He pulled out his accordion and started playing a tune and they stopped shooting, eventually inviting him over. He stayed with them for a while and even hired some of them as guides.

I stand corrected.

Hm… and Pogues… also, not exactly and Irish band, really.

OTOH, it’s Ryan Air. He will be delivered 200 miles away from his ‘destination’ and will later discover a £300 charge on his credit card for playing the accordion.

2 Likes

The last time somebody told me that “In America, everything which is not forbidden is permitted” I finally uderstood why the Americans work so hard to make sure they expressly forbid everything.
I was walking through Newport, RI as a tourist once, and I came across a truly tiny public park in a residential area; 10 by 20 meters (or yards, if you prefer), a little grass, a few flower beds, one park bench.
And a sign post with about ten separate signs threatening various fines for different activities. The park closes at 6pm. I’ve got a photo of that signpost somewhere.

I’ve never been to Singapore, but prejudice tells me that they have lots of rules, too, and if you break them, you will be whipped.
And Japan is amazing: The signs politely say “Please don’t …”, and If you break this rule, then… what do you mean, break this rule? Nobody ever breaks this rule, the sign said ‘please don’t do this’, so nobody does. Now that’s what I call civilized.

2 Likes

What comes next is astonishing.

The video switches out of portrait mode! :scream:

Clearly the world needs patrolling squads of accordion players on the lookout for people holding their phones the wrong way whilst recording, to save us from the plague. Or not.

1 Like

Hence the comment about German bureaucracy in the US, because this is exactly the comment that British travellers in Germany before WW1 used to make. I think Mark Twain actually did a little essay on how someone could spend an afternoon acquiring fines in a town in Bavaria, and Rupert Brooke, writing of Grantchester wrote
“There are fields between Madingley and Coton
Where Das Vertreten’s not verboten”

Edit -
The first time I visited the US I was waiting in the airport to be collected and I saw a sign saying “No solicitors” which struck me as funny because in the UK a solicitor is a transactional lawyer (as distinct from an advocate).

2 Likes

I don’t know how I forgot to put this here already but hey…

2 Likes

This is exactly how I was taught to drive

And now I have the Imperial March played on bagpipes stuck in my head. Thank you very much.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yep. Came straight to the comments to find out if it really was astonishing. The vibe I get is tear-jerking and heart warming. I wish this was off-topic, but the stupid intro just gets in the way.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.