'We have met the moment and we have prevailed' — Trump declares victory on coronavirus as U.S. death toll passes 80,000

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/11/we-have-met-the-moment-and-w.html

1 Like

I see that the White House chose to celebrate the occasion by hosting a big masquerade party.

34 Likes

51 Likes

37 Likes

Sounds more like the one percent patting themselves on the back for successfully profiting off of the misery of others during this crisis. This country ain’t gonna grift itself you know.

30 Likes

good-place-bullshirt

17 Likes

Goddammit. Next week we’ll be bombing our own bases to prevent the enemy from using our abandoned supplies.

16 Likes

Crank up the meme machines.

Wait. He said something true? Accidentally, but still…

8 Likes

Orangie, you’re doing a heckuva job.

9 Likes

Daily, he taunts the country. What will the country do?

1 Like

Biden, I dub thee ‘greatness’.

“We will transition into greatness – that’s a phrase you’re going to hear a lot" … “The greatness is going to be in the fourth quarter, but it’s really going to be next year.”

11 Likes

Trump is wearing a mask in the picture. Those who can’t see it are foolish.

10 Likes

It’s just the usual “if I say it’s happening it’ll definitely happen” sort of magical thinking he’s been doing the whole time.

4 Likes

Probably more like competent than greatness but in comparison, I can see where he’s correct on this one.

Just a quick, back of the envelope calculation, using an average value of 220 US service personnel killed per day during the course of the US involvement in WWII

Source = https://www.ajc.com/news/anniversary-world-war-2/

⊥rump’s declaration that “we have prevailed” would be like FDR declaring victory on December 4th 1942.

ETA: Important part of the rate, in bold above.

10 Likes

I think the only thing that’s different here is someone wrote him a war-time-style speech that fully leans into that usual delusion - at the moment when it’s mostly obviously delusional.

1 Like

Well, we knew he was okay with being a murderer, with his remarks on shooting someone on 5th Avenue.

Now we know he’s okay with being a mass murderer. Just as long as he can keep saying he doesn’t take any responsibility.

7 Likes

Of that I have no fucking doubt. Yet another Republican President claiming victory when it’s clearly undeserved even in that moment.

I hope the press reminds him of these claims a LOT as the months crawl by and the death toll rises. But I’m sure it won’t be long before he says something else stupid to distract everyone yet again.

6 Likes

Every time the death toll doubles now, he’ll claim twice the victory yhat he was able to gloat over the last time. Are you sick of all this winning yet?

5 Likes

Fuck that noise.
We have met the enemy, and it’s neoconservative grifters who will shoot their own mother in the face for a dollar.

22 Likes