"Weapons-grade femininity"

16 Likes

looks like this

3 Likes

[ insert meaningless .gif here in post production ]

1 Like

This right here be as true as can be.

I don’t think so, but it was an odd and uncomfortable feeling.
But like the others here, I think it is less about anything besides a weakness in men.

Sweet FSM, this is probably the most lucid thing you’ve ever posted.

Well done.

12 Likes

But women feel it too. It’s a human experience that isn’t unique to or limited to men. Calling it a weakness in men is not only inaccurate, it makes men less responsible for their feelings, and women more responsible for both genders’ feelings.

22 Likes

All of this “its biology men can’t help it!” just always feels like a cop out. Its selling men short and its placing the burden of their actions on women, and frankly thats bullshit. I can’t help but feel the translation is “I’m a dirtbag and its my nature so suck it up butter cup!” Its also in my dogs nature to piss on my couch but I’ve trained him not to do that. Babies also need to be trained to go against their nature as they are weaned and potty trained. So what is “nature” and what isn’t? If we left everything to “nature” we’d still be shitting our pants.

22 Likes

That’s right. Basically we’ve heard people say:

“I’m attracted to women, they are obviously plotting against men to take things using weaponized jeans and mascara, I have no choice but to give them things”

“One time I was really attracted to someone, so women have kryptonite powers that men are weak to.”

"I grew up socialized into a society that elevates my sexuality and sexual needs above any other sexuality, but my comfort with that sexuality and it’s imposition on others is biological.

22 Likes

cc @Missy_Pants

How about this…

“I can find a person attractive regardless of their knowledge of said attraction and both of us can go on living our lives completely independent of one another without ever addressing said attraction.”

“One time I was attracted to someone and it was nothing more than they were attractive at that particular moment to me…end of story.”

“I grew up and decided to be my own person and take responsibility for my own thoughts and actions, regardless of what society or marketing campaigns try to shove down my throat.”

The thread itself should be titled “Weapons-grade sexuality”. Both women and men (encompassing every sexual preference) can be guilty of using their perceived sexuality to their advantage to manipulate someone else sometimes in a perfectly acceptable and innocent manner and other times for malicious intent.

4 Likes

It really is another version of the execrable “boys will be boys”.

17 Likes

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails.

(I always hated that because WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST OF THE PUPPY!)

18 Likes

Better.

It is just sexuality and feelings, but the ideas I listed and you corrected are pervasive. That’s how this thread got started, someone said they were resentful for being a victim of “weapons grade femininity”.

Even the idea that sexuality can be “used” by individuals is iffy, and prone to misrepresentation. We know that in the current social structure built around those pervasive ideas appealing to one sexuality is acceptable and somewhat effective.

But on an individual scale, it’s much more complicated and not all that effective, and people are prone to using it as a way of blaming their own feelings, thoughts, choices and actions on the people they are attracted to.

14 Likes

Listen, you cannot accuse women of manipulative sexuality and “weapons-grade femininity” and then claim an anecdote you offer is “innocent”.

22 Likes
15 Likes

You mean, that WON’T happen? Darn it, I already got tickets and everything! :wink:

6 Likes

Can someone seriously explain to me why anyone genuinely was upset at a “women only” viewing of WW?

Would women be upset if there was a “men only” viewing of Fight Club?

2 Likes

Because men are used to certain things being “for them”. I’m sure none of them would have complained about a female-only showing of 50 Shades of Grey. But superhero movies are “man things” even when they star women. And even when they only wanted to go to the movie so they could say it sucked (I literally had a guy tell me this on another article about it. Men don’t want to go, they just don’t want to be told they can’t go.)

For a certain kind of guy, it shows the “hypocrisy” of feminism: we don’t want men to have their own things, but we want our own things! And never mind the centuries of men having things women weren’t allowed to, like their own money, and property, and choice of spouse, and higher education …

14 Likes

Oh hey they totally did a men’s only screening of Logan.
It didn’t make the news though.
because no one cared

22 Likes

Was any other kind of viewing for this movie when it came out. :confused:

[in case not totes obvs, i bein’ sarcastic. sorta.]

5 Likes