Weird commercial for Japanese bank starring the Flintstones

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/14/weird-commercial-for-japanese-bank-starring-the-flintstones.html

2 Likes

Assuming these characters were ripped off from the mercifully short-lived Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show, which was basically “Archie by way of Bedrock.” But yes, still weirdly off-model.

pebbles-and-bamm-bamm

13 Likes

Well, not so much as a ‘bank’ but more like ‘legal loan-sharking’ org. Off-brand is their whole thang.

2 Likes

2 Likes

which naturally fades into the Simpson’s Mr Sparkle commercial

12 Likes

oh wow. that’s not a gif, but I can see exactly how all those characters are dancing in my mind. my baby self was apparently subjected to a lot of those reruns. D:

1 Like

The way Bam-Bam wrangles his heart-boner back under control is just classic.

1 Like

Will a Japanese speaker please tell me what this commercial is about?

3 Likes

I don’t speak Japanese, but as far as I can tell ‘Honobono Lake’ is a loan company and this is just a cute way of advertising. Youtube has a few other examples of them using the Flinstones, but they also have ads featuring animated characters I don’t recognize and a few live action ads. That said, the jingle they sing over the logo at the end of each ad feels real familiar, so I can only assume it was spoofed in something else I watched.

1 Like

With Japanese advertising, it’s not so much what a commercial is “about” as it is generating an emotional reaction and “stickiness” for the product being advertised. Trying to extract logical meaning will just give you a headache. (Full disclosure: Worked at a Japanese ad agency in the eighties, and it was the first question I asked.)

2 Likes

This seems to bear out from the ads I’ve been exposed to.

On that topic:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.